Mosaic Pale Ale Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdail87

Reaction score
Working on a "winter warmer" recipe here. I usually go for darker, chewier brews than this. This is the lightest brew I've come up with so I figured I'd put it out there for feedback before I pull the trigger.

Looking for a fairly sweet ale, with strong citrus flavor. How's it look?

Mosaic Pale Ale

Recipe specifics:

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 3.0 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 41.1
Color (SRM): 7.2
ABV: 6.2%

Grain/Sugars:

3.00 lb Light LME, 32.4%
3.00 lb Light LME, 32.4%, boil for 5 min
2.00 lb Munich (German), 21.6%
1.00 lb Orange Blossom Honey, 10.8%, boil for 5 min
0.25 lb Crystal 10L, 2.7%

Hops:

0.50 oz Mosaic (AA 12.5%, Pellet) 30 min, 15.2 IBU
0.75 oz Mosaic (AA 12.5%, Pellet) 20 min, 18.5 IBU
0.50 oz Mosaic (AA 12.5%, Pellet) 10 min, 7.4 IBU
1.25 oz Mosaic (AA 12.5%, Pellet) dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

California Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast
Irish Moss, 1.0 unit(s), Fining , boil 15 min

-----

I think a good place to start the bitterness for a pale ale is a BU:GU ratio of 1.0, which means you would need 63 IBUs. Then I would move the 20 min addition to flameout.

I think I could provide a better review by tasting, but it seems you weren't asking for that.

I think a good place to start the bitterness for a pale ale is a BU:GU ratio of 1.0, which means you would need 63 IBUs. Then I would move the 20 min addition to flameout.

I think I could provide a better review by tasting, but it seems you weren't asking for that.

Well there's nothing to taste yet =P

63 IBUs seems more like IPA country. Could probably cut back on the Munich some to compensate though.

My worry is the honey will dry the ale out significantly. California Ale yeast accentuates hop flavors. I'm just worried about ending up with "hop tea" instead of a pale ale.

As for the 20 minute addition, I've found spacing out hop additions from 30-0 helps round out the bitterness while still lending nice hop flavors. According to my taste buds and experience at least.

Yeah, you're probably right. That's a good sign that you have the recipe you want. Enjoy!

(preview)

Back