Mosaic/Galaxy Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpingComet

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Working on an extract black IPA recipe utilizing mostly Mosaic and Galaxy. Here's what I've got so far. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

5-gallon batch
OG: 1.054, FG: 1.010, ABV: 5.73%, IBU: 63.64, SRM: 34.3

Fermentables
6 lb Light LME
1 lb light DME

Steeping grains
0.5 lbs Blackprinz
0.5 Chocolate
0.5 Crystal 60L

Hops
1 oz. Chinook (60 minutes)
0.5 oz. Mosaic (30 minutes)
0.5 oz. Galaxy (30 minutes)
0.5 oz. Mosaic (10 minutes)
0.5 oz. Galaxy (10 minutes)
1 oz. Mosaic (DH)
1 oz. Galaxy (DH)

Yeast
US-05

:mug:

Looks good. It's all personal preference, but I'd move that 30 minute addition to flame out so you get more hop flavor and not as much bitterness. Depending on the AA of your hops, I would almost just make those 0.5oz additions into 1oz instead. Just my $0.02 tho.

Hi,
on the malt part, I think you should be fine, it should be well balanced.
On the hop part, I personally wouldn't lower the IBUs. My chinook IPA has an OG of 1053, FG 1010 with 80 IBUs (Tinseth) and it's absolutely not excessive. You will have some bitterness from the malt too but shouldn't be that much. I abandoned mid boils additions too but NOT on beers that need a complete hop character to come through. I would instead make the first hop addition as a first worth hopping, would help mellowing the IBUs even if it would probably raise it by a pair of IBUs. I usually tend to move the last addition to the dryhopping (I tend to prefer that fresh hop character). So, to me would be:

1 oz. Chinook (FWH)
0.5 oz. Mosaic (30 minutes)
0.5 oz. Galaxy (30 minutes)
1.5 oz. Mosaic (DH)
1.5 oz. Galaxy (DH)

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

Back