Morebeer Pliny The Elder Instructions Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhite1217

Reaction score
I just received the Pliny The Elder Extract kit from Morebeer and am slightly confused by the directions. On the list of hops it says to use 2oz of Magnum Hops for bittering and says to boil for 90 min. The Extract Additions portion says the Extracts/Additions (9.5 lbs Extract, 8 oz Maltodextrin, 1 lb Corn Sugar) are to be boiled for 60 min. So, are the instructions telling me to boil the Magnum hops for 30 min by themselves, prior to adding the extracts, or is it just a typo and they should be added at 60 min w/ the Extract/Additions? Boiling 2oz of hops in 3 gallons of water for 30 min by themselves just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks!

Keep in mind also that MB's instructions for extract are a little outdated. Most folks don't boil the extract for 60 minutes anymore. Less unnecessary caramelization and lighter color if you only boil the extract for 15 minutes or so.

I'm not an extract brewer, but this is what I would do. I would take a small amount of the extract (maybe a 1/4 or less what the recipe calls for) and put it in with the magnum hops to start the 90 min boil. Then I would hop as scheduled, and add the rest of the extract in at around 15mins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe adding some of the extract in at the beginning will help with the alpha acid extraction that you would not get boiling hops in straight water.

maltodextrin seems like a really odd addition for this beer - i've never seen it in any of the pliny recipes and seems to be 180° from what vinnie strives for with this beer

The answer was to steep the grains (Inc. 2 oz hops), add the magnums and boil for 30 min, and then add the extract/additions.

Maynardx- I do plan on breaking up the extract additions. I would like a light final product.

Terrapin- They do claim it is directly from Vinnie. One of his many versions out there.

Guys, I know it's an old thread, but since nobody posted, here's the recipe from MoreBeer. And BTW I have a question since those two recipes differ in that matter - dry hopping....Should it be started right after the fermentation starts or finishes? More Beer recipe sayd to dry hop for 3-7 days (so about 14-18 days since brewing), while that other recipe says to dry hop 1oz of each hop for 12-14 days and 0.25oz for 5 days to go...

pliny_morebeer.jpg

I have this recipe and will be brewing it in 2 weeks, as soon as my one of my primaries is available (and when I get my STC-1000 in to finish my temp controller for my Fridge/fermentation chamber)

cool! Let me know how it goes! Maybe we should post a thread dedicated to it so we can exchange observations...I'm 3 days into fermentation right now

Keep in mind also that MB's instructions for extract are a little outdated. Most folks don't boil the extract for 60 minutes anymore. Less unnecessary caramelization and lighter color if you only boil the extract for 15 minutes or so.

Don't most still have to do the 60 minute boil bc of hop additions?

I brewed this recipe last Sunday morning. I went to my LHBS and picked up all the ingredients in the recipe posted above. I used 2oz of Cascade pellets as mash hops instead of whole cones, and I broke up the malt extract additions not because I wanted a lighter beer, but because I was concerned with boil overs. When it was all said and done, my OG was 1.082. I pitched one pack of rehydrated US-05, but after reading through some other threads about high OG, I pitched another rehydrated pack of US-05 about 3 hours after I pitched the first pack. Fermentation has been going strong all week. There's been 2-3 inches of krausen all week, which just this morning seems to be going down a little bit. Hasn't come close to a blowoff, however, I did start it with a blowoff tube and will transition to an air lock when I dry hop. I hope to have this bottled and ready to drink by Aug 11th. It's looking good so far!

I plan on brewing this kit later this week as well. Have people been boiling the magnum hops for 30 minutes, then turning off the burner and adding all of the extract, then resuming the boil? I have always been told to never add extract with a flame on the pot, but I am afraid this will mess up the hop schedule timing since it may take awhile for all that extract to dissolve.

I brewed this lot this past weekend and did just that. After steeping grains I added the magnum hops to boil for 30 mins. Then killed flame added the DME and about 1/4 of the LME and continued boiling. I added the rest if the LME with the corn sugar at the 10 minute mark. Fermenting now, will let you know how it turns out 😃

Yesterday was 2 weeks since bottling. I'm going to try one today. I tried one bottle 6 days ago and it turned out really really good, but there were two issues. First, there was a weird very very sweet aroma that was so strong that almost covered the beautiful hops smell. Second, taste was also a little bit too sweet. I'm really hoping it's just the not-yet-fermented priming sugar since it was not even 2 weeks yet. Also, before bottling none of the smell nor taste was that sweet. Fingers crossed :)

I guess this would be as good a place as any to bring up my question.
Why does the AHB Pliny kit i have use Chinook hops? I haven't seen Chinook in any other Pliny recipe I have come across

I guess this would be as good a place as any to bring up my question.
Why does the AHB Pliny kit i have use Chinook hops? I haven't seen Chinook in any other Pliny recipe I have come across

Maybe substituted for another hop? I just got the AHS kit as well, can't pass up a buy one, get one free sale. I will have to check when I get home and see if they put chinook in there as well.

Maybe substituted for another hop? I just got the AHS kit as well, can't pass up a buy one, get one free sale. I will have to check when I get home and see if they put chinook in there as well.

It's substituting for 2 oz of the Simcoe hops at flameout that I see in every other Pliny kit

My wife just bought this kit for me. I plan on brewing it next weekend. My question is about yeast. I've never used liquid yeast or made a stater. The kit recommends White Labs California Ale Yeast. Can I add it straight to the fermenter without making a starter? If so, is one vial enough or should I get two?

My wife just bought this kit for me. I plan on brewing it next weekend. My question is about yeast. I've never used liquid yeast or made a stater. The kit recommends White Labs California Ale Yeast. Can I add it straight to the fermenter without making a starter? If so, is one vial enough or should I get two?

Definitely need a starter if you're using liquid yeast, but if you want to use dry yeast, US-05 is a prefect substitute.

I used the white labs (one vial with a starter and another without - forgotten about second vial :/)
Also, with me everything went smoothly till bottling. After two weeks mine is still too sweet both in aroma and taste :/ Not sure what caused that. It seemed perfect right before bottling.

bottled mine July 28th and drank a few of them this past weekend. They are excellent. I missed the IG and FG a little, but overall this is still a great beer and still above 7% ABV. Nice clarity in the glass and very, very hoppy and flavorful. I can't help myself after pouring every glass from putting it up to my nose and taking a big whiff. Smells so good!!

I brewed this recipe last Friday and pitched a 2L yeast starter of San Diego Super Yeast. Not sure what I did wrong, but even though the starter seemed fine the beer never started fermenting. I was as patient as I could possibly be, but when nothing happened in over 72 hours and the gravity had not budged I ran to my LHBS (over an hour and a half away) and picked up some White Labs California Ale Yeast (they were out of San Diego) and pitched it directly that evening. Fermentation took off quickly and has been crazy active since early Thursday morning. I'm still pretty new to brewing but I've never had fermentation quite so vigorous. Can't wait to taste this!

I brewed this recipe last Friday and pitched a 2L yeast starter of San Diego Super Yeast. Not sure what I did wrong, but even though the starter seemed fine the beer never started fermenting. I was as patient as I could possibly be, but when nothing happened in over 72 hours and the gravity had not budged I ran to my LHBS (over an hour and a half away) and picked up some White Labs California Ale Yeast (they were out of San Diego) and pitched it directly that evening. Fermentation took off quickly and has been crazy active since early Thursday morning. I'm still pretty new to brewing but I've never had fermentation quite so vigorous. Can't wait to taste this!

Did the starter show signs of activity? My impression is that a huge benefit to starter is proofing the yeast and knowing they're ready to roll. The starters I've done always show signs (some krausen mainly).

Did the starter show signs of activity? My impression is that a huge benefit to starter is proofing the yeast and knowing they're ready to roll. The starters I've done always show signs (some krausen mainly).

I never saw any krausen in the starter, but everything I read on these forums led me to believe the starter had done it's thing and was good to go. Again, as a noob I probably screwed something up but I'm not sure what. Either way, it's fermenting beautifully now so it's no big deal. I'll try another starter with next brew and hopefully figure out what I did wrong.

I'm a few weeks after bottling and the beer is pretty good but definitely too sweet. If I would ever done it again I would change the priming sugar and probably not used magnum hops.

I just brewed this yesterday. A crazy amount of hops. Does anyone filter the hops or screen them before bottling? Or do they pretty much sink to the bottom of the fermentor and you siphon of the top?

I just brewed this yesterday. A crazy amount of hops. Does anyone filter the hops or screen them before bottling? Or do they pretty much sink to the bottom of the fermentor and you siphon of the top?

when I did it, the hops all sank to the bottom and I did not use a filter/screen when siphoning to bottling bucket. I have 2 more kits of this to brew and am very much looking forward to doing them. I loved this beer while it lasted, unfortunately it didn't last long enough

when I did it, the hops all sank to the bottom and I did not use a filter/screen when siphoning to bottling bucket. I have 2 more kits of this to brew and am very much looking forward to doing them. I loved this beer while it lasted, unfortunately it didn't last long enough

Did you end up getting a full five gallons out of the fermenter? Seems like I am going to lose a lot.

Did you end up getting a full five gallons out of the fermenter? Seems like I am going to lose a lot.

Yes, I did, but I also put about 5.75 gallons in the fermenter. I compensated by adding a little more water to the boil and added a bit of extra light DME and some corn sugar to the boil.

After bottling I had a full case of 12oz bottles, plus 2-3 extra, and a 12 pack of bombers.

I have 2 more of these kits to do as I absolutely love this beer and AHS had a BOGO sale shortly after I brewed this beer so I jumped on it. Can't wait to brew it again.

My AHB kit won best of the year for the ipa contest this month at a local homebrew meeting (my first time even showing up to a meeting.)

Pliny is just that good, I suppose. All the anti-extract people can suck it.

My AHB kit won best of the year for the ipa contest this month at a local homebrew meeting (my first time even showing up to a meeting.)

Pliny is just that good, I suppose. All the anti-extract people can suck it.

WHOA! Congrats! I am really looking forward to trying this beer.

Guys, I know it's an old thread, but since nobody posted, here's the recipe from MoreBeer. And BTW I have a question since those two recipes differ in that matter - dry hopping....Should it be started right after the fermentation starts or finishes? More Beer recipe sayd to dry hop for 3-7 days (so about 14-18 days since brewing), while that other recipe says to dry hop 1oz of each hop for 12-14 days and 0.25oz for 5 days to go...

Hi guys, I'm about to brew this kit from MoreBeer too. I am also wondering about the dry hops. Do I add the dry hops after its done fermenting for 3-7 days?

Back