Morebeer HERMS coil holding liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Just got my Morebeer. digital flat system this week and did a test run with water yesterday. The whole thing worked like a charm. Tested temperatures vs. my thermapen, made sure the temp-dependent and float-switch dependent functions were all working as I expected. Had I not been playing around with moving hot water around in it, I might have actually taken the time to run to my LHBS and pick up some grain before they closed so that I could be moving wort instead of water.

My question is about the HERMS heat exchanger for the HLT. It is a coil of twisted copper tubing (looks like a small immersion chiller). Standard stuff. Recirculate the wort to hold temp. The Morebeer support tech I talked to was even kind enough to offer the suggestion that I route my sparge water through there after mashing so that it cleans the coil of residual wort.

After running just water through it yesterday, and letting it sit inverted over night, I still hear water sloshing around inside. I can hold the exchanger upright, then turn it over again and get a small amount of water out of the inlet.

Is there any way to get this thing completely dry? I know running 170+ F water will help keep it fairly clean. But I often go several weeks between brew sessions. I don't want it to stay wet in there and potentially harbor any mold or bacteria growth.

Latest posts

Back