MoreBeer Grain Crush Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_dirtbag

Reaction score
So i just finished brewing a dubbel, going for a 1.065 og. I used morebeers "great western domestic" 2-row and some caravienne. I ended up with an abysmal 1.042, 43% efficiency! checked with a refractometer and my hydrometer. The only thing I changed this brew day was my thermometer, and I consistently get efficiencies in the high 70's with my setup.
So my question, has anyone else had issues with the crush of morebeers grains lately? I've used them in the past and never had a problem. But, when I went back and looked at the grain there was definitely a good number of grains that hadn't even been cracked. The only other thing I can possibly think of would be that the new thermometer i'm using isn't calibrated correctly...

Im not to concerned, its still going to be a drinkable beer. Just not quite what I was going for.

I haven't noticed any issues with their grains. It's been maybe 6-8 weeks since I ordered from them.

I have been using morebeer's grains lately for probably 4-5 brew sessions and haven't been able to get over about 63% efficiency. I haven't yet ruled out other factors, but i did use older grain from a different source not too long ago and achieved much higher efficiency (75-80%), so I have been thinking that the grain crush might be part of the problem.

Latest posts

Back