More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the first page and skipped to the end of the thread. Seems like it took a turn for the mean somewhere?

If you already had the gear to log temp data in your closet, then obviously you like the analytical aspect of life.

Making beer is simple, but making good beer is hard. Carry on.

Not really mean, but a few people got a bit over the top (not much) in telling him he is doing it all wrong.

Some jerk keeps accusing him of being a nutjob...which he is.

Go back and reread at your leisure as it is a bit of a wild ride.

Not really mean, but a few people got a bit over the top (not much) in telling him he is doing it all wrong.

Some jerk keeps accusing him of being a nutjob...which he is.

Go back and reread at your leisure as it is a bit of a wild ride.

You made my day lol.

:tank:

-Altrez

I just looked at enough to see that it is insane! I have slowly added on pieces of equipment, and it's easier for me to understand that way.

Money aside, it's too much for me to think about all at once.

I've come to terms that Altrez spreads his protractor further than the rest of us, but he'll eventually get full circle to realize good ingredients and a solid process make great beer and gadgets make the hobby more expensive.

More power to him. I'll keep fermenting in my $20 craigslist fridge.

Feel better Altrez.

If I had the room for it I would buy that right now!!! That is so cool!

:rockin:

-Altrez

Pfffft, money is no problem, but space is!?! Come on, Altrez, build on to your house already! :) :ban:

Oops, just read you weren't feeling well, I hope this post made you smile.

I've come to terms that Altrez spreads his protractor further than the rest of us, but he'll eventually get full circle to realize good ingredients and a solid process make great beer and gadgets make the hobby more expensive.

More power to him. I'll keep fermenting in my $20 craigslist fridge.

Feel better Altrez.

Wow, pretty much sums up this whole thread.

Get better Altrez!

As soon as Altrez started making beer the prior pages just kind of vanished for me ...

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ...

Making good beer is NOT hard, it is attention to detail and following the process exactly. And good ingredients! Start with a Mr Beer kit you get Mr Beer quality...

Making good beer is NOT hard, it is attention to detail and following the process exactly. And good ingredients! Start with a Mr Beer kit you get Mr Beer quality...

But you can get good ingredients and still end up with Mr Beer quality.

Agreed, but as MaryB & others have said(repeatedly) you have to pay attention to the details, understand & follow good techniques ( cleanliness, sanitation, temp control at all stages, patience).
It's not hard but you can't be lazy.

Question:

I plan to use my Mr Beer fermenter for a one gallon batch. Should I add some extra water to cut down on the head space?

Thanks!

-Altrez

Question:

I plan to use my Mr Beer fermenter for a one gallon batch. Should I add some extra water to cut down on the head space?

Thanks!

-Altrez

Not unless it is accounted for in the recipe. If you just add water it will dilute the beer. If you are not leaving the beer in the fermenter for a long time the extra head space does not matter too much. Depending on how much it might even be good - room for the krausen.

Question:

Thanks!

-Altrez

No, head space in a primary is fine, just going to fill up with CO2 anyway. I do all my 5 gallon brews in 7 or 8 gallon fermenters. Adding water without extra ingredients will just dilute your beer.

Brew Day! I am going to do another Zombie Dust clone and try using the LBK to ferment in. Hopefully all will go well. I have a Mr. Beer IPA to bottle as well.

-Altrez

Crikey, well, erm, this is an interesting thread.

So how many gallons do you have brewed now Altrez, and how much is actually ready for drinking?

What has me worried is that all the kit that has been posted the thing that I've been most tempted by is the LED board thing. Ooh pretty lights!

Have fun.

Crikey, well, erm, this is an interesting thread.

So how many gallons do you have brewed now Altrez, and how much is actually ready for drinking?

What has me worried is that all the kit that has been posted the thing that I've been most tempted by is the LED board thing. Ooh pretty lights!

Have fun.

I have brewed about 25 gallons now. 16 or so has been bottled and kegged.

:tank:

-Altrez

Hello all, and of course Altrez. I am new to the forum and this entire thread was my first read. Just finished reading as I am sipping on a crowler of 10 Barrel Joe, american IPA, for the first time. We just got them here in Memphis, TN; where we are finally getting some good breweries in town. I am kinda glad I stumbled upon this thread first. There has been a lot of great info shared. I bought a partial extract kit from a local brew supply a few years back and popped it open a couple of days ago to see that it had expired. I have a BSG K3 kit with that partial extract brew. I am a lot like Altrez as I have a thing for gadgets and I will blow too much money on that instead of initially learning about the beer. Before I read this thread I knew that I wanted some better equipment before I brewed for the first time. I am an all in kinda person, although my pockets aren't as deep as Altrez's. I am so glad that I learned about the best and the cheapest equipment and that it is mostly about the science and chemistry (and patience) as long as you keep your stuff very clean. I have a setup in mind for sure, but first things first I am going to educate myself with my first money being spent on books. Here is the list of what I have on the way ( I know some of them are more advanced than I need to be on my first time around): How To Brew - Palmer, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Papazian, The Beer Bible - Workman, IPA - Steele, Water - Palmer/Kaminski, Yeast - White/Zainasheff, Hops - Hieronymous, Malt - Mallet. Do you guys suggest any titles in addition to these?

Hello all, and of course Altrez. I am new to the forum and this entire thread was my first read. Just finished reading as I am sipping on a crowler of 10 Barrel Joe, american IPA, for the first time. We just got them here in Memphis, TN; where we are finally getting some good breweries in town. I am kinda glad I stumbled upon this thread first. There has been a lot of great info shared. I bought a partial extract kit from a local brew supply a few years back and popped it open a couple of days ago to see that it had expired. I have a BSG K3 kit with that partial extract brew. I am a lot like Altrez as I have a thing for gadgets and I will blow too much money on that instead of initially learning about the beer. Before I read this thread I knew that I wanted some better equipment before I brewed for the first time. I am an all in kinda person, although my pockets aren't as deep as Altrez's. I am so glad that I learned about the best and the cheapest equipment and that it is mostly about the science and chemistry (and patience) as long as you keep your stuff very clean. I have a setup in mind for sure, but first things first I am going to educate myself with my first money being spent on books. Here is the list of what I have on the way ( I know some of them are more advanced than I need to be on my first time around): How To Brew - Palmer, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing - Papazian, The Beer Bible - Workman, IPA - Steele, Water - Palmer/Kaminski, Yeast - White/Zainasheff, Hops - Hieronymous, Malt - Mallet. Do you guys suggest any titles in addition to these?

IMO all you need is How to Brew and Brewing Classic Styles. That will get you 90% of the way.

I'll go ahead and give a nod to Charlie and CJoB. That guy is a national treasure. Get his book for super-great karma.

Where oh where has Altrez been? Either he has given up, which wouldn't surprise me, or he's too busy brewing.

ALTREZ WAS A TROLL!

Looks like half the community just lost a buck... to themselves.

And then it got boring because every one fell for it.

He's busy barrel aging

beer_troll_by_madamethenadier.jpg

Last activity 8-28-16
306 posts
1 thread (this one)
engaged Maybe the GF/wife put the kibosh on his brewing?

Or maybe his credit card payments for all the unnecessary things he bought is keeping him from posting. - cancelled internet?

I smelt a troll in the beginning.... Still smells.

But it was fun. Where are you Altrez?

Last activity 8-28-16
306 posts
1 thread (this one)
engaged Maybe the GF/wife put the kibosh on his brewing?

Or maybe his credit card payments for all the unnecessary things he bought is keeping him from posting. - cancelled internet?

I smelt a troll in the beginning.... Still smells.

But it was fun. Where are you Altrez?

Maybe the pint of vodka a day finally caught up with him. That, or he's too busy brewing 10 gallons a week to post updates. His blog has been pretty quiet too.
http://www.eviljaybrew.com/home.html
Looks like there was even more to it than he thought.

OK...I am the guy that (for a reason) always called him a nutjob. That said, we all occasionally have stuff in our lives that puts hobbies on hold. For now, give him the benefit of the doubt. 3 more months and he is an idiot.

If you read the whole thread and then go back and read the beginning, he def sounds like a troll. Voss water?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back