More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thick?, as in like chocolate milk thick...

Heavy like in really sweet? or are you meaning supper supper hoppy?

The later " supper hoppy" is west coast style IPA for sure...cant stand the stuff myself. I dont understand how not to get heart burn from the stuff.

edit...never mind I was too slow, you got your answer already.

I've brewed Pliny the Elder "clones" (well, not a complete clone, but very similar) a few times before. The first time I did 9 separate hop additions, including some massive dry hopping.

100 IBUs is supposed be the threshold of bitterness than humans can taste, but oftentimes these kinds of double and triple IPAs have "theoretical IBUs" at 200, 300, 400, 500, and so on.

The last IPA I made was "inspired" by Pliny the Elder, but I tinkered around with it so much that in the end, it was a 9.9% ABV Triple IPA with a theoretical IBU of 280 (in actuality, it's supposed to be impossible to get above 100 IBUs).

That's just the kind of beers these are. For example, Pliny the Elder and Lagunitas IPA are basically on opposite sides of the spectrum for IPAs. I just made an APA recently that's around 35 IBUs and around 5.5% ABV. Just completely different kind of stuff.

Thick?, as in like chocolate milk thick...

Heavy like in really sweet? or are you meaning supper supper hoppy?

The later " supper hoppy" is west coast style IPA for sure...cant stand the stuff myself. I dont understand how not to get heart burn from the stuff.

edit...never mind I was too slow, you got your answer already.

Heavy like drinking a small meal. Supper hoppy!!!! Can't see through it at all.

-Altrez

-Altrez

Did you take a final gravity reading? Perhaps it didn't fully attenuate? Or maybe you just don't like over the top West Coast IPAs?

This recipe is on the extreme! I would guess that it is just too extreme for your liking...

I like the flavor but I think I did something wrong. It is very cloudy. I love a good high IBU DIPA.

-Altrez

Did you take a final gravity reading? Perhaps it didn't fully attenuate? Or maybe you just don't like over the top West Coast IPAs?

I did and it was:

Original Gravity: 1.0611
Final Gravity: 1.0112
Alcohol by Volume: 6.4% (5.2% ABW)

I do love hoppy IPAs I think I must of bottled this one too soon.

-Altrez

It's an IIPA, not and IPA. Imperials need to age for at least a couple weeks, if not a month or two, to balance out a little bit. Let it be for another 10 days, then try another.

I like the flavor but I think I did something wrong. It is very cloudy. I love a good high IBU DIPA.

-Altrez

Very hoppy beers are often quite hazy due to polyphenols in the hops. And Pliny definitely qualifies as VERY hoppy. Even if you do everything else in your power to get a clear beer, you probably will still end up with a dense haze.

I made that, loved it but only a bottle a day, not something I would want to drink a 6 pack of.That is why having a variety of beers on hand is needed!

Question:

The IPA I brewed from NB:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/the-plinian-legacy-small-batch-recipe-kit

It's very thick and very strong tasting. It's so bitter I am not sure if it has an infection or it is just that hoppy.

I love IPA's and drink a six pack with no issues. However it is hard for me to drink a whole bottle of the IPA I brewed.

It tastes good and has the right IBU's for my linking but it is just so heavy and it also gives me heartburn? This is the only beer to ever give me heartburn after just one.

Ideas?

-Altrez

Meal in a glass heavy will describe many beers made properly! Unless you like making light beer! Plinian Legacy doesn't use a bunch of adjunct grains, it is malt syrup and steeping grains(barley). It has a heavier mouth feel than drinking a BMC light!

-Altrez

Oh, you think hoppiness is your ally. But you merely adopted the hop; I was born in it, moulded by it.

sidenote: if a pliney clone came out to 6.4%abv, I think something went awry in your process. It should definitely end up in the 8-9% range

I did and it was:

Original Gravity: 1.0611
Final Gravity: 1.0112
Alcohol by Volume: 6.4% (5.2% ABW)

I do love hoppy IPAs I think I must of bottled this one too soon.

-Altrez

For this recipe I would leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks or until it was pretty clear. I have never done one so highly hopped and have not cold crashed my beers, but this is one where I would, to get it as clear as I could. I would then bottle condition for no less than 3 weeks, and not expect it to reach peak flavor for a month or two.

Oh, you think hoppiness is your ally. But you merely adopted the hop; I was born in it, moulded by it.

sidenote: if a pliney clone came out to 6.4%abv, I think something went awry in your process. It should definitely end up in the 8-9% range

Awesome post! I think that I did not let it ferment long enough I plan to try again.

:tank:

-Altrez

Question:

Can anyone recommend a good keg system for 5 gallon brews? I would like to keep it under 100 grand!

Thanks!

-Altrez

Your temp is too hot for fermentation. You need a swamp cooler or a ferment ion chamber. 68 degrees ambient can be 75 or more during the peak of fermentation. and that will give you flavors you don't want.
33.gif
6.gif

4.gif

Believe me, he has temp controlled fermentation, with data logging every few seconds. Pretty sure the temps he gives would be his wort temp, not the ambient temp. He spent a S*** ton of cash and equipment before he ever brewed any beer. Temp control was one of his first buys.

Check out http://www.kegconnection.com/

I was able to buy a freezer and convert it to a 4 tap keg system for less than $1000 and that includes using Perlick taps.

My only suggestion is to ignore their recommended 5 foot serving lines and get at least 7.

Question:

Can anyone recommend a good keg system for 5 gallon brews? I would like to keep it under 100 grand!

Thanks!

-Altrez

I have never met anyone who asks for so much advice, and yet ignores it altogether and does everything exactly the opposite. So you went from Mr. Beer extract small batches brewed in Mr. Beer plastic "vessels", to brewing an extra hoppy Pliny style beer? And now you want advice on "good keg system" - money no object, except there are about 1,000 threads on how to make your own kegerrator on this forum already, and then another 1,000 threads on buying commercial ones.

I have never met anyone who asks for so much advice, and yet ignores it altogether and does everything exactly the opposite. So you went from Mr. Beer extract small batches brewed in Mr. Beer plastic "vessels", to brewing an extra hoppy Pliny style beer? And now you want advice on "good keg system" - money no object, except there are about 1,000 threads on how to make your own kegerrator on this forum already, and then another 1,000 threads on buying commercial ones.

Yeah but I keep things interesting and think outside the box :) And also there is always 10000000000 ways to do something. It is the new and fresh ideas that keep everyone moving forward!

:mug:

-Altez

Yeah but I keep things interesting and think outside the box :) And also there is always 10000000000 ways to do something. It is the new and fresh ideas that keep everyone moving forward!

-Altez

That... makes absolutely no sense.

Asking the exact same question that's been asked a thousand times before is "thinking outside the box"? That would actually be the very definition of thinking inside the box. Besides, if you think you're going to get "new and fresh ideas" from asking such a generic question... you're crazy. But we already knew that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=5+gallon+keg+system

...And do you really think there are TEN BILLION ways to buy a 5 gallon keg system? Duuuuuuude. That's why this thread makes me laugh so much.

Some of you take this thread too seriously. Lol, it's a 67 page thread about a beginner brewer, obviously it's mostly irony, mockery and sarcasm. Yes I think it has some solidity but for the most part, it's a light-hearted discussion filled with farce.

Some of you take this thread too seriously. Lol, it's a 67 page thread about a beginner brewer, obviously it's mostly irony, mockery and sarcasm. Yes I think it has some solidity but for the most part, it's a light-hearted discussion filled with farce.

Seriously. And for a forum that is supposed to be about sharing knowledge and helping each other with our hobby, folks sure do seem eager to jump down Altrez's throat for being an overly inquisitive beginner.

He has definitely earned some ribbing just because of his approach to the whole thing, but man, if it's such an imposition for these folks to just answer a question he posts, it must surely be an equal amount of effort to chastise him for it ["gawwwwd, there's already like a million threads about that, waaahhh"]...why not keep it constructive, or otherwise not reply at all?

Altrez, keep going man! I hope your kegging system ends up being as cool and ridiculous and over-the-top as you yourself have proven to be. With that said, I would point you to a basic "kegging system" from any of the major retailers to begin. You could also put it together piecemeal. Either way, I'd try to get a dual pressure [two output] regulator like this one. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Double-Body-CO2-Regulator-516_p_4711.html It will be super easy to expand from there when you are ready.

Seriously. And for a forum that is supposed to be about sharing knowledge and helping each other with our hobby, folks sure do seem eager to jump down Altrez's throat for being an overly inquisitive beginner.

He has definitely earned some ribbing just because of his approach to the whole thing, but man, if it's such an imposition for these folks to just answer a question he posts, it must surely be an equal amount of effort to chastise him for it ["gawwwwd, there's already like a million threads about that, waaahhh"]...why not keep it constructive, or otherwise not reply at all?

Altrez, keep going man! I hope your kegging system ends up being as cool and ridiculous and over-the-top as you yourself have proven to be. With that said, I would point you to a basic "kegging system" from any of the major retailers to begin. You could also put it together piecemeal. Either way, I'd try to get a dual pressure [two output] regulator like this one. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Double-Body-CO2-Regulator-516_p_4711.html It will be super easy to expand from there when you are ready.

You Sir are AWESOME!

:tank:

-Altrez

He has definitely earned some ribbing just because of his approach to the whole thing, but man, if it's such an imposition for these folks to just answer a question he posts, it must surely be an equal amount of effort to chastise him for it ["gawwwwd, there's already like a million threads about that, waaahhh"]...why not keep it constructive, or otherwise not reply at all? .

Oh I dont know... Here is a quote from Altrez's original post.

When I first looked into home brew I though I could do it with just a simple kit and tap water. My question is this: Am I over analyzing this? Can good home brew beer be made just throwing wort into a jar and letting it ferment?

There has been a lot of advice given to keep it simple or at least slow going at first that has just been plain ignored, even though he specifically asked for that kind of advice. You cant expect some subsequent continual and persistent bashing/ribbing not to come about due to that .
This is the big boys sand box after all, and other then down right nasty personal attacks, all else is fair play no matter how unpleasant it might come across to someone.

Has this been entertaining..yes indeed, but its wearing thin and some day it will need to just die and Altrez can move on to starting a different thread. Will it be any less chocked full of craziness? Only time will tell. But I believe it will, after all there really isint all that many ways to make beer. You just need to settle in and do it at that point.
I have a hunch Altrez and I could share a beer or 3 together with some good laughs, but I seriously doubt I'd be inviting him on a sail to Hawaii. I have a feeling my head would explode with too much exposure and I might end up one crew member shy arriving in Lahaina ...:D I Could be totally wrong but there it is.

I think the guy generally love's the attention hes gotten from all this and that is totally cool. Lets just hope there isn't 10000000000 ways of him, left in him on this thread anyway....:tank:

Carry on....

Deadm Horse.jpg

I LOVE his good nature, and his ability to take some ribbing.

I will say that I genuinely like Altrez, and am so disappointed that sometimes people have to be so negative.

There are 100 thousand ways to do many things in brewing- and that's what makes us a forum. We are "homebrew talk", not "homebrew search" or "homebrew read about the right way" and I've enjoyed this journey.

I started with a Beer Machine 2000, and 20 years of winemaking experience and now I make some darn good beer. Luckily, I"ve never admitted to this group how much I've actually spent...........

I LOVE his good nature, and his ability to take some ribbing.

I will say that I genuinely like Altrez, and am so disappointed that sometimes people have to be so negative.

There are 100 thousand ways to do many things in brewing- and that's what makes us a forum. We are "homebrew talk", not "homebrew search" or "homebrew read about the right way" and I've enjoyed this journey.

I started with a Beer Machine 2000, and 20 years of winemaking experience and now I make some darn good beer. Luckily, I"ve never admitted to this group how much I've actually spent...........

Thank you Yooper :)

-Altrez

I read the first page and skipped to the end of the thread. Seems like it took a turn for the mean somewhere?

If you already had the gear to log temp data in your closet, then obviously you like the analytical aspect of life.

Making beer is simple, but making good beer is hard. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back