More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I really got to read all 60 pages now.

Cannot agree more with everyone else. I read this whole thread in one sitting. It is glorious, and Altrez is an absolute lunatic/gem of a person.

On another note, @Altrez: I cannot wait to hear how the beers that you've currently got almost ready turn out! Make sure to update us at once :D

Cannot agree more with everyone else. I read this whole thread in one sitting. It is glorious, and Altrez is an absolute lunatic/gem of a person.

On another note, @Altrez: I cannot wait to hear how the beers that you've currently got almost ready turn out! Make sure to update us at once :D

Don't forget, he already made a perfect Bud Light clone!! :rockin:

Update:

The beer that I carbonated in the 1 gallon keg is a lot better then in the bottle. Great head with lots of retention. Taste is good, smells like beer. No green apple flavor!

-Altrez

kegmrbeer.jpg

This is what a battery bank big enough to run my fridge(converted chest freezer) and the deep freeze looks like

IMG_20141129_2034571201_zps5d3f8a7e.jpg

1,100 pounds of batteries... it also runs my ham radio stuff and a few lights but that is low current use... the box is 36" x 72" and doubles as a bench in my living room/ham radio shack/winter workshop/do everything room...

@Altrez

Glad your first beer came out as beer. With all this equipment and stuff, what are you currently set up for in terms of brewing process? It looks like you've got the cold-side stuff covered, but going forward are you doing small batch extract kits, partial mash, all grain, larger batches etc?

I would give a go at designing your own recipes as soon as you feel comfortable with your overall brewing process. There's a learning curve for sure but the rewarding feeling of tasting something you conceived and brewed yourself is definitely worth it

@Altrez

Glad your first beer came out as beer. With all this equipment and stuff, what are you currently set up for in terms of brewing process? It looks like you've got the cold-side stuff covered, but going forward are you doing small batch extract kits, partial mash, all grain, larger batches etc?

I would give a go at designing your own recipes as soon as you feel comfortable with your overall brewing process. There's a learning curve for sure but the rewarding feeling of tasting something you conceived and brewed yourself is definitely worth it

Hi!

Right now I am set up for small batches I am planing to go all grain after I have been brewing for a year. I want to make at least 100 batches of beer and master the kits before I go off and try all grain.

I know that is where I need to be it is just going to be a process to get there.

-Altrez

Hi!

Right now I am set up for small batches I am planing to go all grain after I have been brewing for a year. I want to make at least 100 batches of beer and master the kits before I go off and try all grain.

I know that is where I need to be it is just going to be a process to get there.

-Altrez

If it takes you 100 batches and a year to figure out how to stir extract, you're a slow learner. ;) Also, that's 2 batches a week pace, pretty ambitious. I went AG after about 2 months and 5 batches. Really, it's not that hard, and IMO the quality is much better. You'll soon realize that the same amount of work for the smaller batches can yield you 5 gallons. Why would you perfect something that's not the goal? Start brewing AG and perfect that, the heck with extract. Brewing a Zombie Dust clone tomorrow. :ban:

I, kind of, repeat what PADave said. One hundred and your timetable is ambitious, But then again very timid. All grain brewing is more involved but really no more difficult than doing an extract brew where you are boiling and adding the correct hops at the appropriate times.

I did 4 five gallon batches of extract with steeping grain kits, I then did 4 partial mash kits/recipes, then one all grain kit before moving on to recipes. And eventually adjusting recipes, then creating my own.

That was about 2 1/2 months from my first brew to my first modified recipe.

If you really want to make 100 batches before doing AG so be it, but to me that seem like setting you sights very low.

Hi!

-Altrez

You need to stretch your wings a bit. Your extract will be pretty much the same throughout. Once you get the basic principles down (sanitation, temp, etc) you'll not have anywhere to go and should find it less challenging.

I started with partial, then went all grain (BIAB) and have made some good and some bad, but am learning as well. I enjoy the process and continuous improvement.

If you stay on Mr Beer kits for 100 batches all you're doing is delaying your growth by 97 batches. :).

Update:

So I had some people taste my first Mr. Beer batch that I kegged. They are telling me that it is very smooth and mellow light beer. Better then a cheep light beer from the store.

Personally the more I drink it the less I like it. I can taste what I only can describe as an extract taste. It hits my taste buds on the front end with a pronounced nose. I am not a light beer drinker at all but there is just something off about the flavor to me.

Others have tried it and liked it and wanted some to take home so I guess It is just me.

-Altrez

Update:

So I had some people taste my first Mr. Beer batch that I kegged. They are telling me that it is very smooth and mellow light beer. Better then a cheep light beer from the store.

Personally the more I drink it the less I like it. I can taste what I only can describe as an extract taste. It hits my taste buds on the front end with a pronounced nose. I am not a light beer drinker at all but there is just something off about the flavor to me.

Others have tried it and liked it and wanted some to take home so I guess It is just me.

-Altrez

I would get the same taste when I was brewing with extract. I know some people say they brew great brews with extract, but I could always tell, they would have that "extract twang." Once you go to all grain you will notice a difference. Personally, I don't think I'll ever brew with extract again.

I would get the same taste when I was brewing with extract. I know some people say they brew great brews with extract, but I could always tell, they would have that "extract twang." Once you go to all grain you will notice a difference. Personally, I don't think I'll ever brew with extract again.

Yeah that's the word twang. It is not horrible and after a few beers it gets better but I do not like it. I hope its not the same on the other 8 gallons I have going. I am looking forward to the NB IPA batch.

We are bottling today 4 gallons of Mr. Beer. the oak beer has a different flavor but still a twang to it. I haven't tried the hot pumpkin pie brew yet.

I still just taste that strong Mr. Beer extract flavor. However the wife likes it so she should be set with beer for a long time lol.

How did your Zombie Dust clone go?

-Altrez

I've never gotten that twang flavor either, but I've never used Mr. Beer, so it might have something to do with the brand.

Or with the lack of brewing experience. I've seen posts on here where people who used to make horrible beer with extracts, then switched to all grain and just assumed that it had something to do with the ingredients and not with their poor brewing practices. Then there are the threads where an experienced brewer makes the same beer with all grain and with extract and they are virtually indistinguishable (some people can taste the difference, but "twang" isn't part of that difference).

Honestly, I did quite a few extract batches when I first started and none of them had that flavor. Not every extract brewer does; it usually has to do with process.

Take a look at this article: https://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=487

There are also quite a few other sources out there to research.

Thank you for the post!

I am not sure yet if it is the Mr. Beer kits or what. I have good temperature control and I also check the fermentation to make sure it is done so I am not sure. It is all a learning process!

-Altrez

I've never gotten that twang flavor either, but I've never used Mr. Beer, so it might have something to do with the brand.

Or with the lack of brewing experience. I've seen posts on here where people who used to make horrible beer with extracts, then switched to all grain and just assumed that it had something to do with the ingredients and not with their poor brewing practices. Then there are the threads where an experienced brewer makes the same beer with all grain and with extract and they are virtually indistinguishable (some people can taste the difference, but "twang" isn't part of that difference).

I seem to be the only person who noticed the "Twang" and I have only tried the Mr. Beer kits so far.

-Altrez

Thank you for the post!

I am not sure yet if it is the Mr. Beer kits or what. I have good temperature control and I also check the fermentation to make sure it is done so I am not sure. It is all a learning process!

-Altrez

You're welcome. The Mr. Beer kits could easily be the issue because of older LME. What volume boil are you doing?

You're welcome. The Mr. Beer kits could easily be the issue because of older LME. What volume boil are you doing?

I have read a lot of people say that old extract might be the cause of the "twang" flavor. Especially if you bought the extract off the shelf in a store where it might have been sitting for a while instead of fresh extract from a website like MoreBeer or Northern Brewer.

I have read a lot of people say that old extract might be the cause of the "twang" flavor. Especially if you bought the extract off the shelf in a store where it might have been sitting for a while instead of fresh extract from a website like MoreBeer or Northern Brewer.

Yeah. Mr Beer is as much novelty as hobby. Fresh and novelty are not synonymous

Update:

Tasted a bottle of the Mr. Beer Oktoberfest that I brewed. It has a different taste then the first brew. Its more bitter on the front end and fairly smooth. A hint of malt perhaps. The nose has a lightly bitter beer smell to it.

My wife tried it and said the same thing.

-Altrez

mrbeerof1st.jpg

Happy 4th everyone!!

We are brewing a Bell's two hearted clone today from NB and I am going to try the NB IPA I made with dinner. Its not been in the bottle two weeks yet but I really want to taste it lol.

-Altrez

Happy 4th everyone!!

We are brewing a Bell's two hearted clone today from NB and I am going to try the NB IPA I made with dinner. Its not been in the bottle two weeks yet but I really want to taste it lol.

-Altrez

I've made that Dead Ringer kit twice now, nice solid IPA. I think it's going to be one of my house brews that I always have on hand.

Question:

Would there be any issue chilling wort over night in the fridge? I have not decided on how I want to cool my wort after brewing and was thinking why not just sick it in the fermenter for 24 hours before I pitch my yeast.

It also seems to be less risky then sticking something in the wort.

-Altrez

Lots of guys do a no chill approach to brewing just letting the wort cool at ambient room temp over night.( 65 degree nights is what I'm basing this on).. Keep airtight and you will be fine 99.9% of the time. Same as the rest of us that chill. Over night in the fridge will be way to long, and it will end up too cold unless your set up for temp control.

Question:

Would there be any issue chilling wort over night in the fridge? I have not decided on how I want to cool my wort after brewing and was thinking why not just sick it in the fermenter for 24 hours before I pitch my yeast.

-Altrez

Wait a minute. How did I miss, in all 60-whatever glorious pages of this thread, that you didn't get yourself a wort chiller?! I mean, seriously, with all the other toys you bought so prematurely!!! I'm amazed that your chilling setup isn't, like, one immersion chiller in an ice bath running to a second immersion chiller in the kettle, and the wort being pumped out through a plate chiller and into a glycol-jacketed conical.

You can definitely do overnight chilling (I've been forced to do a batch or two like this myself, and had absolutely no issues). Just make sure you don't run your hot wort directly after the boil into a plastic or glass fermentor. That's a guaranteed disaster. It has to at least be chilled enough not to melt/temp shock your fermentor.

Wait a minute. How did I miss, in all 60-whatever glorious pages of this thread, that you didn't get yourself a wort chiller?! I mean, seriously, with all the other toys you bought so prematurely!!! I'm amazed that your chilling setup isn't, like, one immersion chiller in an ice bath running to a second immersion chiller in the kettle, and the wort being pumped out through a plate chiller and into a glycol-jacketed conical.

You can definitely do overnight chilling (I've been forced to do a batch or two like this myself, and had absolutely no issues). Just make sure you don't run your hot wort directly after the boil into a plastic or glass fermentor. That's a guaranteed disaster. It has to at least be chilled enough not to melt/temp shock your fermentor.

If I remember correctly, don't you have a plate chiller Altrez? I agree, just letting it sit overnight would be much too simple. ;) And JordanKnudson, don't forget, that whole setup has to be solar powered. :D

Question:

-Altrez

I would rent a private jet and fly the beer to the Arctic. I heard Arctic ice is the best way to chill wort. You'll need some gyro-stabilized platform so you don't get spillage. :)

(I struggle getting to pitching temps in the summer and let it sit in the basement and/or ferm chamber overnight to reach pitching temps. Just keep it closed and clean).

I would rent a private jet and fly the beer to the Arctic. I heard Arctic ice is the best way to chill wort. You'll need some gyro-stabilized platform so you don't get spillage. :)

(I struggle getting to pitching temps in the summer and let it sit in the basement and/or ferm chamber overnight to reach pitching temps. Just keep it closed and clean).

Now the private Jet approach sounds like the most logical solution to chill the wort properly.

:rockin:

-Altrez

Z chiller. It's the only way.

No, but seriously, no chill works fine for non hoppy beers. For IPAs, much change need to happen to your hop schedule

Z chiller. It's the only way.

No, but seriously, no chill works fine for non hoppy beers. For IPAs, much change need to happen to your hop schedule

the opposite, actually. IPAs with their hops will hide any imperfection picked up by less than ideal (slow) cooling process across the temperature range where bacteria is most active. Most clean beers (light in IBU, ABV or flavor) will not be able to hide any imperfections.

the opposite, actually. IPAs with their hops will hide any imperfection picked up by less than ideal (slow) cooling process across the temperature range where bacteria is most active. Most clean beers (light in IBU, ABV or flavor) will not be able to hide any imperfections.

I think the comment about non-IPA beers had to do with the wort being too hot and continuing to affect the hops. i.e. turning flavor to bittering and aroma to flavor/bittering.

Although I tend to agree with your statement as well that hoppy beers are very forgiving. My first batch (2 Hearted Clone) was fermented WAY too hot. Everybody loved it and raved about how good it was...until the headaches started.

Question:

The IPA I brewed from NB:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/the-plinian-legacy-small-batch-recipe-kit

It's very thick and very strong tasting. It's so bitter I am not sure if it has an infection or it is just that hoppy.

I love IPA's and drink a six pack with no issues. However it is hard for me to drink a whole bottle of the IPA I brewed.

It tastes good and has the right IBU's for my linking but it is just so heavy and it also gives me heartburn? This is the only beer to ever give me heartburn after just one.

Ideas?

-Altrez

ipapl1gal.jpg

Question:

The IPA I brewed from NB:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/the-plinian-legacy-small-batch-recipe-kit

It's very thick and very strong tasting. It's so bitter I am not sure if it has an infection or it is just that hoppy.

I love IPA's and drink a six pack with no issues. However it is hard for me to drink a whole bottle of the IPA I brewed.

It tastes good and has the right IBU's for my linking but it is just so heavy and it also gives me heartburn? This is the only beer to ever give me heartburn after just one.

Ideas?

-Altrez
The beer it is a clone for is VERY hoppy IIPA. It is basically over the top on everything.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971/

Read a few of the reviews but looking through the lense of those desensitized by "regular" IPA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back