More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, make more beeeeeer!

On the other hand, he got 100 oz total out of his batch (equivalent to a little more than 8 bottles' worth), which was all I was ever able to squeeze out of those NB 1-gallon kits when I was making them early on. You lose a lot of that "gallon" to trub in those tiny 1 gallon glass jugs.

I'm betting when he eventually steps up to a larger batch size (you know, $40,000 from now), his brewhouse efficiency won't be any worse than yours or mine! :D

I can do it with just $30,000.00 :)

-Altrez

Has anyone considered that all the ribbing this guy is taking is contributing to his insistence on pissing off cash in the name of more brew tech? Like he's doing it out of spite?

Regardless, this is the most interesting thread I've read in a while and I admire your enthusiasm Altrez. I also admire your cash flow (OK...and I'm slightly jealous). ;)

Update:

Tried one of my Mr. Beer Oktoberfest bottles. It had no green apple taste but was slightly sweet with a malty flavor. It had good carbonation but the head did not last long. I think another two weeks in the bottle and it will be much better.

-Altrez

Update:

Tried one of my Mr. Beer Oktoberfest bottles. It had no green apple taste but was slightly sweet with a malty flavor. It had good carbonation but the head did not last long. I think another two weeks in the bottle and it will be much better.

-Altrez

You take a lot of ribbing- and I love that about you!
I'm glad that the beer is ok, and I know you'll be making great beer in no time.

I started with a Beer Machine 2000, quite a while ago (well, 16 years I guess duh!), and that beer was awful.

It takes persistence, and lots of reading, and some support to learn to make great beer. I found this forum just over 10 years ago, and while I blame them all for the huge cash outlay they encouraged me to spend- I never left. :D

You can make great beer with a pot and a bucket. You can make great beer with a $3000 all electric HERMS as well. And you can make terrible beer with both. The key is knowledge. Even though you're getting a lot of grief, you've got a lot of good advice as well.

The beer will get better with practice. The fact that you can make us all smile and laugh during the process has been fun- thank you for that!

I heard a rumor that Altrez is trying to do a hostile take over of Blichmann and will rename the company Mr. Altrez. They'll make nothing but 1 gallon vessels from here on out!

Ok, I may have just stared that rumor! :)

I heard a rumor that Altrez is trying to do a hostile take over of Blichmann and will rename the company Mr. Altrez. They'll make nothing but 1 gallon vessels from here on out!

Ok, I may have just stared that rumor! :)

How did you find out that information? Who told you that!!! I want names!

-Altrez

Question:

On my last batch of beer that I bottled 2 days ago I tasted the beer and it was really good but flat of course. How long does it take beer to carb in the bottle at a temp around 74?

Thanks!

-Altrez

Question:

On my last batch of beer that I bottled 2 days ago I tasted the beer and it was really good but flat of course. How long does it take beer to carb in the bottle at a temp around 74?

Thanks!

-Altrez
2-3 weeks to fully carb

Question:

Thanks!

-Altrez

I usually drink one at 1 week and 1 at 2 weeks and say it's because I want to see the difference but the real reason is I am impatient. I find 3 weeks is when it's really ready and even then - more times than not, a few more weeks help "round out" the beer. At least for me.

For small batches I may drink 1 at 2 weeks but would wait 3 weeks at least until I count on them being ready.

Don't start drinking too soon or you'll be out before the beer is (or was) ready to drink.

I have found that most have some carbonation at 2 weeks, some are fully carbonated and some take longer. But IMO, they have all tasted better at 3 weeks or longer. A high alcohol or dark malty beer will be better with some aging. Some really big beers might take a year or more of aging. A hoppy beer or IPA will be best if drunk young, the hop flavor and aroma will fade.

Has anyone considered that all the ribbing this guy is taking is contributing to his insistence on pissing off cash in the name of more brew tech? Like he's doing it out of spite?

Regardless, this is the most interesting thread I've read in a while and I admire your enthusiasm Altrez. I also admire your cash flow (OK...and I'm slightly jealous). ;)

I guess it's his cash. he can do with it what he wants. And, spending cash does stimulate the economy. HAHA!

But, seriously, I like Altrez. And, was just trying to get him to see that all the gadgets in the world won't make better beer.

Mike

:mug:

You take a lot of ribbing- and I love that about you!
I'm glad that the beer is ok, and I know you'll be making great beer in no time.

I started with a Beer Machine 2000, quite a while ago (well, 16 years I guess duh!), and that beer was awful.

It takes persistence, and lots of reading, and some support to learn to make great beer. I found this forum just over 10 years ago, and while I blame them all for the huge cash outlay they encouraged me to spend- I never left. :D

You can make great beer with a pot and a bucket. You can make great beer with a $3000 all electric HERMS as well. And you can make terrible beer with both. The key is knowledge. Even though you're getting a lot of grief, you've got a lot of good advice as well.

The beer will get better with practice. The fact that you can make us all smile and laugh during the process has been fun- thank you for that!

I LOVE this post. Indeed, he has taken a lot of ribbing, with grace. That is why I love the guy, too.

Mike

2-3 weeks to fully carb

It depends on the beer, of course. But, in general, I would agree with this.

20 years ago, when I made my first batches of beer (extract), I would get impatient. I'd drink one bottle every other day, or so (testing the carb level... That is what I always told myself!) By the time the beer was carbed and matured just right, well over half of my beer would be gone! I finally learned from that. Don't get me wrong.... I do occasionally still drink a beer before it is "ready", but not like I did back in those days.

BTW, the same can be said for kegging. I have found it much better to force carb using the "set and forget" method, than any of the "burst carb" methods. Not that some haven't come up with really good ways to "burst carb", and get good carbonation. I have tried them, and they work. It is just, in my opinion, the extra time needed for "set and forget" simply gives time for the beer to mature.

One last thing: Yeast will settle to the bottom of the bottle. You may know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Make sure your bottles sit on their bottoms, rather than their sides. Then, pour slowly (avoid glug-glug) and leave a bit of beer on the bottom with the yeast. I find watching the shoulder of the bottle during the pour lets me see when I need to stop.

Mike

But, seriously, I like Altrez. And, was just trying to get him to see that all the gadgets in the world won't make better beer.

I second this. Sometimes we might seem harsh, but just trying to help the guy out. I'd like to have a few homebrews with Altrez. :mug:

Update:

I have my first home brew that I kegged in the fridge chilling. I am really excited about it. There is a feeling of accomplishment I get from seeing it sitting in there.

-Altrez

Update:

Hello all,

I got some parts for my off grid beer brewing project in today and thought I would post a pick. I have not tested everything yet and I am still shopping around for solar panels but it is a start.

:rockin:

-Altrez

inverter1.jpg

Update:

Hello all,

I got some parts for my off grid beer brewing project in today and thought I would post a pick. I have not tested everything yet and I am still shopping around for solar panels but it is a start.

-Altrez

Ok, now you are off your rocker! ;) I just have to ask, why?

I want to brew beer during the zombie Apocalypse of course!

-Altrez

I'm all for that answer, but are you also stocking up on grains and hops? Or better yet growing your own? You can have all the electricity you want, but without ingredients you're not brewing. I'd rater work around not having electric, as all it does in my brewing process is fermentation control, than not having ingredients.

I'm all for that answer, but are you also stocking up on grains and hops? Or better yet growing your own? You can have all the electricity you want, but without ingredients you're not brewing. I'd rater work around not having electric, as all it does in my brewing process is fermentation control, than not having ingredients.

I am stocking up on Mr. Beer kit's they have the shelf life of good MRE's and taste about the same :)

:ban:

-Altrez

Modified sine inverter = HOT compressor motor and early failure. Need a pure sine inverter to run motors.

Update:

Hello all,

-Altrez

Modified sine inverter = HOT compressor motor and early failure. Need a pure sine inverter to run motors.

Really? I found that just about any fridge or freezer with a simple, non-digital thermostat is just fine. They tend to have single speed motors that fare well.

I am not going to read through 60 pages to see if it's been said before but if you want to brew off grid and live in an area with seasons, brew in an appropriate season where fermentation stability is not a struggle.

I have been kegging for a long while and till I had a keezer I would alter my methods between bottle and kegs depending on whether I could keep a keg cold on the back porch. Setting up a huge solar array and massive battery packs seems counter intuitive to the reason of living off the grid, unless you are a prepper that must have his beer. Although that will be the first house I will attack if Trumpageddon occurs.

I am not going to read through 60 pages to see if it's been said before but if you want to brew off grid and live in an area with seasons, brew in an appropriate season where fermentation stability is not a struggle.

I have been kegging for a long while and till I had a keezer I would alter my methods between bottle and kegs depending on whether I could keep a keg cold on the back porch. Setting up a huge solar array and massive battery packs seems counter intuitive to the reason of living off the grid, unless you are a prepper that must have his beer. Although that will be the first house I will attack if Trumpageddon occurs.

:rolleyes: He has money to make it whatever season he wants it to be! Don't worry 'bout it!

I can't believe that no one has suggested that you need to build a biodome to perfectly recreate the environment where certain beers are brewed -- same concept as RO water.

:rolleyes: He has money to make it whatever season he wants it to be! Don't worry 'bout it!

I can't believe that no one has suggested that you need to build a biodome to perfectly recreate the environment where certain beers are brewed -- same concept as RO water.

A guy living off the land in Kentucky with more money that he knows what to do with. Reminds me of a guy I worked for last year. I will post a photo of his battery bank of his house in Mexico. I guess I got to read the all 60 pages now.

I do like the biodome idea though, but you would need multiple biodomes unless you only wanted to stick with one style of beer.

Drinking 10 gallons a week he would need a lot of storage!

Giveaway:

So much goodness in this thread! I have decided to start doing giveaways! Now this is my first one so here it goes!

I am giving away a Yeti Rambler Tumbler Stainless Steel, 30 oz!!!!

Here is the link:

https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/7e9c00af20b9f56c

Thank you all so much for the help. I plan to have more giveaways soon so please keep contributing!

-Altrez

Man I really got to read all 60 pages now.

It's the most entertaining 60 pages you'll come across.

And I didn't think you were being serious when you talked about the off the grid thing Altrez. Eccentric isn't a powerful enough word to describe you! :fro:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back