More refractometer troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
Okay, here we go; the ambient temperature in my kitchen is 70 Fahrenheit. I've calibrated my refractometer using filtered water, and I've been using it for the first time. Here are my numbers:

OG: 1.061 SG, by hydrometer (I didn't have my refractometer when I started this brew)
FG: By hydrometer: 1.010; , 5.4 Brix, 0.998 SG by refractometer

The FG refractometer readings are adjusted for alcohol contect according to the spreadsheet from the MoreBeer website. I rechecked my refractometer's calibration, and it's right on. For the life of me, I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. I'd hate to think I just blew $50 only to end up trusting my hydrometer more.

The only time I use my refractometer is pre-fermentation. I don't even bother with it after.
I've never had a accurate reading that way.

I'm kind of leaning that direction myself. One of the reasons I found the refractometer attractive was so that I could avoid wasting so much beer when I take my FG reading. The other reason was the ease of taking readings during lautering . . . so there's still that, anyway.

For last 6 brewings I used both ref and hydro and after correction for alcohol a had the same readings, I'm guessing that spreadsheet u using is wrong or you ref is wrong, right now I'm brewing with ref only

My refractometer is used to measure pre-boil OG to see how much longer I need to boil before I add hops, or how much water I need to add to dilute the wort. I also use it post boil to get an OG. After fermentation I don't even use it. All that being said, I love it.

Why lean towards not using a refractometer during ferment and FG? If you are filling up a tube to check with a hydrometer, do your check and then put a couple drops from the tube on your refractometer and compare readings. I don't bother with a hydrometer anymore.

I posted the same exact thread not that long ago...

Refractometer on brew day...hydro any time thereafter. As soon as alcohol comes into the equation, the refractometer doesn't help a whole lot. Even if only used on brew day, still is WAY worth it IMO.

I just christened a Hanna Instruments refractometer for my birthday.

I will be happy to do some side by sides when kegging the next two batches to see how the refractometer + alcohol formulas look compared with glass hydrometers.

So far I love it, I feel so fancy and scientific. $150 off amazon.

Now when the neighbors call the cops thinking in making meth they will see my fancy new instrument!

Back