More foam on second pour from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that the first pour of the day from the keg has a what I will call a normal amount of head/foam (one finger or so). The second pour has much more, 3 fingers. I notice it every time and it's starting to get a bit annoying. Anyone notice this as well? Any advice?

The beer is on 11psi (maybe 12) with Inkbird set to 39F. Temp probe is in a gallon of water in the keezer, and temps range from 37F-41F. I have 5.5ft of 4mm EVABarrier. Maybe it's just slightly over carbed and the first pour is less foamy because of the beer in the line. Not sure about that since there's like, 2 oz in the line.

FWIW, we run longer lines of the Ultra Barrier Silver 3/16 line (10 footers) and keep our temps closer to 34° F. That seems to seal the deal for pouring perfect pints for us. We run those numbers on both the commercial and homebrew kegerators with great results. The line length helps a lot, but the colder temps seem to help a ton, too. :mug:

5.5 feet of EVABarrier 4mm ID is about right - I believe that's the precut length @Bobby_M sells out of brewhardware.com.
I run a bit more at 6.5' but I have flow meters atop my kegs and it takes almost a foot of lead-in from the Out post to the meter to avoid a too tight bend radius between the push-to-connect fittings.

Referencing our favorite carbonation table at 39°F and 11-12 psi that should eventually equalize at around 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is a very common level for most ales; I use a very close combination successfully so wouldn't change anything

Also, fwiw, EJ Beverage Tubing products are based on a proprietary plastic that sucks at keeping O2 out of the beer. EVABarrier would be a huge upgrade...

Cheers!

5.5 feet of EVABarrier 4mm ID is about right - I believe that's the precut length @Bobby_M sells out of brewhardware.com.
I run a bit more at 6.5' but I have flow meters atop my kegs and it takes almost a foot of lead-in from the Out post to the meter to avoid a too tight bend radius between the push-to-connect fittings.

Referencing our favorite carbonation table at 39°F and 11-12 psi that should eventually equalize at around 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is a very common level for most ales; I use a very close combination successfully so wouldn't change anything

Also, fwiw, EJ Beverage Tubing products are based on a proprietary plastic that sucks at keeping O2 out of the beer. EVABarrier would be a huge upgrade...

Cheers!

Agree. EJ barrier tubing oxidized the hell out of my beer in no time. That stuff was garbage.

Latest posts

Back