Monumental f-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just LOL'ed reading this as I almost had this exact same situation happen when I was early in my all grain days..I was SO nervous about EVERYTHING I was doing then, I just about made this same mistake..luckily I only got about a cup of unmilled grain in before realizing my error.

Good luck with it and I bet it turns out fine with what you added in.
We all have those senior moments...

My biggest oh sh*t moment to date is not putting a blowoff tube on a winter ale that went bonkers in my hall closet when it decided to have a nuclear airlock blowout about 15 mins before we were supposed to leave for a Thanksgiving family gathering of all days. I was cleaning up hop debris and wort from the ceiling, clothes, floor and the walls for hours. I had to repaint and rip up the carpet in the whole walk in closet before it was able to be used again..that was a bad one and I was in the doghouse with the wife for weeks over it and is still drug up when we argue and its been over 4 years since that incident..lol

At least with this one, you only lost a batch of grain.

at least you weren't confusing All Grain with Extract methods and adding water post boil.

Based on this crazy brew, any guestimates on what the gravity would be? Basically I had 5 gallons at 1.016. I took 2 gallons out and added 5lbs of DME before adding it back to the fermenter. I know 4lbs of DME in 1 gallon of water equates to about 1.045, but not sure how it equates to 2 gallons of wort that was already at 1.016? And then combining it all back to the 3 gallons at 1.016 really confuses me and my math skills. Any smart people out there would know how to calculate this type of thing?

5lb*40pts/lb=200pts
divide points by total gallons 200/5gal = 40pts
add that to 16 gets 1056

incase you ever want to mix two worts together

take the digits right of the decimal point multiply by 1000 for first wort
multiply that by gallons

do the same for second wort

add the two products together and divide by total gallons
divide by 1000 and add 1 to get gravity

2gal of 1.116 plus 3gal of 1.016
(2*116 + 3*16)/(2+3) = (232+48)/5 = 56
56/1000 +1 = 1.056

So I kegged my FrankenBeer on Tuesday and decided to leave it at 12psi for at least 5 days before trying. I sampled it before kegging and surprisingly, it tasted quite good. On that note I told myself I wasn't going to rush carbonate it and would give it ample time to slowly carbonate (the right way IMO). I'll keep everyone updated because I'm sure you can hardly wait to hear the news!

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had this truly , as the OP stated, MONUMENTAL F-UP.

I did the exact same thing, when I was doing three brews in one day. I actually caught mine during the mash, but was totally vapor-locked as to what to do to fix it. So I just mashed it for 120 minutes, and collected about 2 gallons of wort. I can't remember any specifics of OG or FG, all I remember was that the beer was very grainy in the flavor, and I didn't use near enough hops to give it any other levels of flavor.

The next day I actually thought what my fix would have been.........

Get out the stick blender and go to town on the mash.

But, I digress, that one is just chalked up to being a *******, trying to do three all grain mashes in one day.

:(

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had this truly , as the OP stated, MONUMENTAL F-UP.

I did the exact same thing, when I was doing three brews in one day. I actually caught mine during the mash, but was totally vapor-locked as to what to do to fix it. So I just mashed it for 120 minutes, and collected about 2 gallons of wort. I can't remember any specifics of OG or FG, all I remember was that the beer was very grainy in the flavor, and I didn't use near enough hops to give it any other levels of flavor.

But, I digress, that one is just chalked up to being a *******, trying to do three all grain mashes in one day.

I frequently do three beers in one day. I usually do a big beer (ie IRS or BW) a regular beer (in the 5% range), then I put all of the grain into the MT and run one long sparge. At the end I have two burners going and I get three beers for the price of two :ban::mug: Also I have 15 gals in the pipeline. :D

Funny, but the LHBS I usually go to the owner weighs and crushes the grain and gives it to me in a bag. I am ADD to the max, but this is one thing I haven't messed up. Yea!! But there is still time. Oh well :mug:

Brilliant idea. I got 1.016 I believe out of the uncrushed grain which was somewhat surprising. Nice to hear someone else has made this mistake, but you at least have a better excuse for messing up than I did!

I have recently been trying to get a handle on gravity points so I might be way off, but I believe DME is 40 points per pound. I'm thinking you are around 1.056

I know nothing about points or using dme, but I think you're right on the money with your guestimemt.

5lb*40pts/lb=200pts
divide points by total gallons 200/5gal = 40pts
add that to 16 gets 1056

incase you ever want to mix two worts together

take the digits right of the decimal point multiply by 1000 for first wort
multiply that by gallons

do the same for second wort

add the two products together and divide by total gallons
divide by 1000 and add 1 to get gravity

2gal of 1.116 plus 3gal of 1.016
(2*116 + 3*16)/(2+3) = (232+48)/5 = 56
56/1000 +1 = 1.056
DME actually has about 44 pts/lb, so 5 lb will add 220 pts. The DME will also increase the total volume of wort. DME has an SG somewhere around 1.5, so 5 lb of DME will add 5 / (8.33 * 1.5) = 0.4 gal to the total volume. Thus you had 16 * 5 = 80 pts originally, you added 220 pts for 300 total pts, your volume went up to 5 + 0.4 = 5.4 gal, thus your final points/gal is 300 / 5.4 = 55.6. Because of compensating errors, the result matches the less rigorous estimate of 1.056 equivalent OG.

Brew on :mug:

Op silently in his mind -

"Brewers are playing.
Brewers.
I'm a brewer.
I wonder if any of the Brewers are brewers.
Ha, ha. That's funny.
They'd be a Brewers brewer.
I'm just a brewer.
Not a real Brewer.
Well I'm a real ......OH ****.!!!!"
God I read this last year and laughed hard, then I stumbled across it again and laughed even harder. Great lines!

An anniversary for a thread!

I would have asked if he dumped the grain yet or not, not too late to run it all through the food processor, add the wort back to it in the mash tun...he said he took a nap, should be good for an all nighter!

(yes i've done this before)

Back