Montrachet Yeast/Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norn_irn

Reaction score
okay so looking to make this famous Apfelwein, do i have to use Montrachet yeast? all the UK online places i look dont seem to sell this, what other yeasts would be good??

I prefer S-04 which is an English ale yeast. Montrachet is probably the last yeast I'd use. K1V-1116 or 71B-1122 would be good if you're set on using a wine yeast.

Lots of people like the German wheat strains - Wyeast 3068

I've had success using T-58. I'm sure WB-06 the dry wheat strain would work too. Since you're in Ireland I'm assuming it'd be easier for you get Fermentis yeast than American liquid yeasts, but maybe I'm wrong.

I've used just simple Youngs brand yeast in the past, turned out pretty good. You can pick it up at Wilcos.

Dicky

montrachet yeast is nice and smooth as long as you dont start off at higher then 1.090

I used lalvin EC-1118 with my first batch of apfelwein, so I'm not a professional...yet...so from a first timer who reads allot first, it could have been the juice I used, or any # of things, but mine turned out very un-apple tasting...I have read on here in a few spots that the EC-1118 can strip the fruity flavors out of your batches...so just a heads up on what I have found...but, of course, YMMV.

I've got everything to start up two more batches, except the yeasts...I'm going to look for the Montrachet and some Nottinghams I think...hopefully I can find them around here.

good luck.

the Apfelwein is on the go, swmbo was giving off last night as she could hear the bloop bloop coming from the airlock :)
, edwort says to leave it in there for 4 weeks until the yeast drops out, so heres my thinking now;
if i leave it there for 3weeks then transfer it to the secondary and start a skeeters pee using the slurry from the apfelwein, will this work??

It'll work. Just a thought here, but you might consider making your next apfelwein/cider with an ale yeast. Wine yeast & especially champagne yeasts tend to strip a lot of flavour out. I like the results I get with Nottingham ale yeast, but I've also used S-05 with good results. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Back