Monster Mill 3 roller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone out there help me with setting up my mill, I just got it and and am going to start getting my grains in bulk and have never set one up. I have it together but what setting should I mill at, I have a 2 vessel recirculation system and have been hitting about 72% eff. which is fine for me, all of my grains have come from Northern Brewer pre-milled and jsut looking for some input................................cheers

On tap: Version 2-IPA
Kegged: Version 2-IPA
Fermenter 1: Joelloopy Sauce
Fermenter 2: Joelloopy Sauce

Better answer is spend the $5 and get a set of feeler guages from an auto parts store. 0.035" is a good starting point though but should you want to experiment you'll want something that works for other sizes.

Make sure the mill body is true and not over or under tightened. I found that part far more difficult to get right than setting the rolls.

Last edited:
I agree with Schematix. I used feeler gauges to set up my MM3. It is the right way to do it as it does not compress like a credit card does. I have mine marked on the side for 0.035" and a second setting for "flour" depending on which recipe I am making.

I have the MM3 as well and have trouble getting the grains to ‘catch’ initially in the rollers. Had to play with my gap to get it under control, but often have to manually roll the rollers backward to lock up some grain and get things started. I use conditioned grain but same thing happened before i started doing that.

Anyone have the same issue?

I’ve never had that trouble. Mine has worked perfect so far. As far as the gap, I had mine set on .035” when I was doing a traditional mash. Now that I do BIAB, I crush at .020”.

Feeler gauges is the way to go. But, you need also to be able to know what RPM you are milling at, as RPMs and gap settings are close to equally important.

For instance. A classic error is people running the mill at to fast setting, and discovers it's been milled to flour, so they keep running at the same setting and just increase the gap, thus leaving more grains partially, or uncrushedw when they could have gotten a beautiful crush at the first gap, but at a slower speed.

I have the MM3 as well and have trouble getting the grains to ‘catch’ initially in the rollers. Had to play with my gap to get it under control, but often have to manually roll the rollers backward to lock up some grain and get things started. I use conditioned grain but same thing happened before i started doing that.

Anyone have the same issue?

There's a misalignment somewhere. I've had the same issue; all I needed to do was unscrew one of the bolts on the bottom, or the ones holding the hopper. If everything isn't square, you can have this issue.

Back