Monster Energy Drinks attack VT Microbrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fellow from Vermont, Tony Picchini started a distro, Pitcher of Nectar, here in Phoenix. That's why it's here.

Tony better watch out, Phish put out an album in the mid 90's called "A picture of Nectar". Someone might get confused.:cross:
BTW, I used to drink 1 or 2 a day of the Monster Lo-Carb. Not anymore. F#&K Monster!!

Sent two letters to complain, bought a Rock Art Shirt, Dugg the article, tweeted and posted other places online. F these guys.

Hey, I know some people on here are not big fans of the Brewing Network. However, they have a pretty decent listener base. I'm wondering if anyone has bothered forwarding this to them...you know what, forget that question, I'll send it to them!

Of course they'll probably just mock me!!! ;)

Hey, I know some people on here are not big fans of the Brewing Network. However, they have a pretty decent listener base. I'm wondering if anyone has bothered forwarding this to them...you know what, forget that question, I'll send it to them!

Of course they'll probably just mock me!!! ;)

We're all on the same side of this issue. :tank:

Tony better watch out, Phish put out an album in the mid 90's called "A picture of Nectar". Someone might get confused.:cross:
BTW, I used to drink 1 or 2 a day of the Monster Lo-Carb. Not anymore. F#&K Monster!!

OT, the album was named after a bar called "Nectars" where the band played a lot when they were a small local outfit. Pitcher of Nectar would be a reference to "Cavern" - ...a cushion convector, a pitcher of nectar...just sayin. I am the great and knowledgeable Edcculus.

Back on topic, I hope Monster gets their ass handed to them.

We're all on the same side of this issue. :tank:

Agreed, I forwarded them the link to the MSN article. I would also forward it to Basic Brewing Radio, but James doesn't seem like he'd be as willing to run with something too controversial. Don't get me wrong, I love his show and he's seems like a great guy, just doesn't strike me as a rabble rouser.

James gets the conservative/NPR delivery rap because he is so not TBN, but if you ever met him you'd know he's a happening guy.

I have to say, his show feels a little more polished than the BN and sometimes I'm more in the mood for his more to the point approach. Plus, he does seem like a good guy.

Okay, don't want to turn this into a James Spencer love fest. Back to hatin' on Monster!!! :rockin:

Here is my letter to Monster Energy Drinks...

I write you today with discontent about your actions towards Rock Art Brewery in Vermont. I have informed my friends, Family, Co-workers and associates to no longer purchase products from your line of drinks from both you and your parent company.

You have taken action against a small, noncompeting business. You have attacked a family owned company that has spent over a decade trying to build a brand without large corporate backers, but with grass roots, regional, word of mouth marketing.

I call upon you to Cease and Desist in your actions against Rock Art Brewery. Let this small company produce and make a beer (VerMonster) that has no resemblance to your company at all. I will continue to buy their beer and I will cease buying any products from you or your parent company, until this matter is ended and you will stop being corporate bullies!!

Thank you,

Craig Guido

Wrote 'em and called them.
evilgrin0002.gif
(I was civil) Basically told them they're taking a beating on the 'net and they're making themselves look like asses. Oh, and the "I'll never buy your product again" speech, though I don't drink the ****. If it helps Rock Art, I'll tell a little white lie.

I'm late to the party on this thread (been on hiatus for the past month) but Monster energy drink is distributed by Anheuser-Busch. This may be Hansen Beverage's baby but don't think A-B doesn't have their hand in this somewhere.

This is par for the course for them. A-B says they're all for support of craft brewing; of course they are, they want a piece of the craft brew market that's been gaining double digits the past few years while their sales have been languishing. Anyone who remembers their "100% Share of Mind" campaign will tell you differently. They're no different now than they were back then.

In short: F Hansen Beverage, and F Anheuser-Busch.
angry-smiley-8010.gif

.02c sent and don't think that stuff but will definitely not now.

Due do your shenanigans written about in this article (http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=11291060) regarding your feelings on another business using a name like Vermonster relating to a monster of a beer, I will no longer purchase any of your products and steer anyone who is considering buying one not too.

Your lack of respect and need to lookout for your market share in a case like this is the exact reason why I am disgusted with your business practices.

Don't bother responding

I gave them my thoughts on the matter. I don't live where I can support Rock Art through my purchases of their beers, but I can damn sure deny Monster and Hansen's my business. I also made a point of telling all my energy drink swilling classmates to take their money elsewhere. I wonder how long it will take before Monster starts seeing the bottom line drop?

Terje

This video makes me proud to support these guys! :mug:

I feel the same way. This thread bothers me more and more every day. Being a fan of craft brewed beers with as much passion and effort as Rock Art puts into their product makes me sick to see this happening to them. I will do what I can when I can to let people know what this corporate devil is doing to the companies that this country was built on. Damn I'm pissed.

I still have no idea why Rock Art is the target, when Brooklyn has a beer named "Monster". Not "Brookmonster" or "NYMonster", just Monster. Never do I wish this upon Brooklyn (another great brewery I love).. but this proves to me Hansen is just after the money. Can they just be using Rock Art as the stepping stone and court precedence to go after Brooklyn? Scary corporate world we live in. Brooklyn Brewery should watch this case very closely and do what they can to help Rock Art since this is too close for comfort for their product identity as well. Damn you Hansen!

I still have no idea why Rock Art is the target, when Brooklyn has a beer named "Monster". Not "Brookmonster" or "NYMonster", just Monster. Never do I wish this upon Brooklyn (another great brewery I love).. but this proves to me Hansen is just after the money. Can they just be using Rock Art as the stepping stone and court precedence to go after Brooklyn? Scary corporate world we live in. Brooklyn Brewery should watch this case very closely and do what they can to help Rock Art since this is too close for comfort for their product identity as well. Damn you Hansen!

I've been thinking the same thing. I was wondering if there were any other craft brewers out there with "Monster" beers, or some of the bigger craft brewers with a little more weight/capital behind them, who might be able and willing to get into this fight. Not because it's good for their business, after all Rock Art is a competitor, but because it's good for craft brewing in general?

Either way keep fighting Rock Art and let us know what we can do to help! :rockin:

In all of this I realized I forgot to contact Monster/Hansen. I just sent them the following:

Let me begin by saying, I'm not a big fan of energy drinks normally. A few years back a friend of mine introduced me to Monster and I was hooked. Later I found out you sponsored some of my favorite riders in the MotoGP paddock. Believe me, this type of cross promotion works. I was thrilled to see it.

That is what makes this so difficult. I've been a fan of your product for quite some time now. However, in the last few days I've learned of your aggressive tactics toward a brewer in Vermont, Rock Art. I find your actions towards this company and their product Vermonster particularly loathsome. I cannot continue to support your product or endorse it in the future if the predatory attacks against Rock Art continue. In the past I have been happy to recommend your company to others and somewhere, maybe in the back of my mind in an ignorant way, I always hoped that you were a company who stood for something. I will be happy to support your product when you stop these senseless attacks on Rock Art. Until then, unfortunately, I cannot do so with good conscience.

i wrote monster telling them I'll never drink their products again. I don't anyway, but if I ever need a caffeine rush, it'll be red bull. . .

I gave them my thoughts on the matter. I don't live where I can support Rock Art through my purchases of their beers, but I can damn sure deny Monster and Hansen's my business. I also made a point of telling all my energy drink swilling classmates to take their money elsewhere. I wonder how long it will take before Monster starts seeing the bottom line drop?

Terje

Unfortunately probably more time then it takes the public to forget about this and go back to purchasing their products.

Here is a list of products to boycott. If I missed any feel free to add them.
Hansen Products

Sodas

Hansen's Natural sodas including diet & mixers

Hansens Natural Green tea soda and diet green tea soda

Sparkling Sleek and Sparkling Green tea sleak

Energy Drinks

Rumba energy juice

Energy formula and diet Red energy

Primal Energy teas

Juices

Bottled juices.

Juice boxes. includes Junior Juice, Junior organic waters, and Juice slam

Canned Smoothie drinks

Juice slam organic fruit juice pouches

Teas

Hansens Ready to drink Teas

Other Brands owned by Hansens

Fizzit vitamin and mineral drink mixes

Blue Sky natural sodas

and of course Monster!

Monster energy

Monster hitman energy shooter

Lost energy

Joker Mad energy

Unbound Energy

Ace Energy

I just sent a letter of support to Rock Art Brewery and a letter of disgust to Monster/Hansen. When I found out about this, I was completely disgusted. Don't forget to keep fighting!!!

First let's talk about their name stealing:

Energy formula and diet Red energy=Red Bull
Blue Sky natural sodas=Allman Brothers
Joker Mad energy=Batman
Monster hitman energy shooter=Hitman video game.

Anyway I am going to actually send e-mails to Coke to see if they want to help out someone being bullied by a competing company.

Also why not e-mail President Obama, he says he is for small business let's see if he really is?

I will be attaching the youtube video to all e-mails, I don't know how you can watch that and not feel for that guy.

here is the letter I sent to the White house:

This message is intended for President Obama:

I assume you are a beer fan from recent events and understand its inportance to the American culture. I am not sure if you are aware of a terrible injustice being done to a small brewery named Rock Art brewing in Vermont. The short story is Monster Energy Drink is suing Rock Art brewing over a beer named Vermonster. All lawyers that the brewery has contacted have said that Monster Energy Drink has no right in this matter, but they have more money and will be able to continue until Rock Art runs out of funds.

With your support of small business I hope there is something you can do about this matter. I have become more supportive of your policy as I tend to be moderately conservative minded. This is a great opportunity to show your desire to promote small business and their growth.

I am attaching two websites one linking to the story and one to Rock Art's website.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iTH-tsAmOUKatfUKo_9dxLJtD5qQD9B9QPHG1

http://www.rockartbrewery.com/

On the brewery page a video is posted, this video breaks my heart as this small business owner explains the peril he faces as his passion is being snuffed out.

Thank you for your time and please take action,
Dana Mitchell

Wait, I thought AB distributed Hansen/Monster and AB had a relationship with PepsiCo?

Well, they may have a relationship with AB as well I do not know for certain.

I do know they have a deal with Coke definitely. I got my information directly from hansens website. Under their investor relations page their is a press release announcing a distribution deal with coca cola.

here is the letter I sent to the White house:

This message is intended for President Obama:

I assume you are a beer fan from recent events and understand its inportance to the American culture. I am not sure if you are aware of a terrible injustice being done to a small brewery named Rock Art brewing in Vermont. The short story is Monster Energy Drink is suing Rock Art brewing over a beer named Vermonster. All lawyers that the brewery has contacted have said that Monster Energy Drink has no right in this matter, but they have more money and will be able to continue until Rock Art runs out of funds.

With your support of small business I hope there is something you can do about this matter. I have become more supportive of your policy as I tend to be moderately conservative minded. This is a great opportunity to show your desire to promote small business and their growth.

I am attaching two websites one linking to the story and one to Rock Art's website.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iTH-tsAmOUKatfUKo_9dxLJtD5qQD9B9QPHG1

http://www.rockartbrewery.com/

On the brewery page a video is posted, this video breaks my heart as this small business owner explains the peril he faces as his passion is being snuffed out.

Thank you for your time and please take action,
Dana Mitchell

I really don't want to get into a debate. But WTF? What does the President have to do with anything? Moderately conservative as in you feel the POTUS should be able to force legal decisions on private corporations???!?

Write to the companies involved people, not to the grubermint.

I hope the grass roots campaigns get Monster to reconsider there position. However, the might of the dollar may win out. I sincerely hope not, as Monster is definitely in the wrong and should not be allowed to strong arm their position like this.

This was just sent back to me

"Please note that Hansen Beverage Company presently has not filed a
lawsuit against Rock Art Brewery, LLC.

Hansen had sent a "cease and desist" letter to Rock Art Brewery on
September 4, 2009, after learning that Rock Art had filed an
application to register a federal trademark throughout the United
States in connection with "Vermonster" in July 2009.

In order to protect Hansen's valuable Monster Energy(R) trademarks,
Hansen is legally obliged to, and routinely sends, cease and desist
letters to any entity and person who use or attempt to register similar
trademarks for products that are similar or related to Monster(R)
products.

Please see the attached response from Hansen Beverage Company about the
cease and desist letter sent to Vermonster.

Regards,

Consumer Relations
Hansen Beverage Company"

Back