Monitor for Tilt hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to get a Tilt hydrometer but I don't have any compatible mobile devices like a smart phone or tablet. I do have a regular PC and WiFi but no bluetooth on that.

So, looking at Android phones on eBay they want to know what network I'd be using. Since the only use for this would be to monitor the Tilt, I assume carrier SIM card doesn't matter. Just need the app, right?

Any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Having a dedicated device to have the app open so it will log to Google Sheets is the only gotcha I know.

If you’re like me and fermenting in stainless in a fridge in the basement, the signal won’t make it upstairs so I have the repeater.

If I set the dedicated device next to the fridge and simply monitored via Google Sheets from another device I wouldn’t need the repeater.

The $40 tablet idea above sounds good.

Seen one at my LHBS . Never thought I'd get one but for some reason it's been on my mind . Just how accurate are these tilts?

...and I saw a note from Brad on his forum that he’s getting information from Tilt to integrate it into BeerSmith.

Seen one at my LHBS . Never thought I'd get one but for some reason it's been on my mind . Just how accurate are these tilts?

Mine has been very accurate in both gravity readings and temperature (when compared with my hydrometer and refractometer) except when cold crashing. I have stopped taking samples and using my refractometer to determine when fermentation is complete. I still take OG and FG measurements using all three instruments.

For me, it is easier to read the Tilt's data to determine when to raise the fermentation temp slightly near the end of the fermentation. The graph gives a good visual as well.

When it comes to cold crashing, I find the Tilt's temperature reading does not agree with the temperature probe that is in the fermenter. Unlike some others, I am able to cold crash my CF10 to 36F. I am using an IceMaster 100 as opposed to a Penguin which the others are using. It may be the difference in the size of the IceMaster 100 eight gallon reservoir that allows me to go to 36F.

I suspect there is thermal stratification that is occurring that explains the differences in temperature.

IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2372.JPG

Thanks codeSection. I'm really leaning on getting one . It be perfect for Lagers. I wouldn't have to pull any samples before I start raising then temp. Just another cool brewing gadget lol.

"External volume controls, built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones, speakers, microphone, and LE accessories support"

Hopefully the "LE Accessories" includes a BT profile that will work with a Tilt...

Cheers!

So, I bought that tablet and I'm sorta regretting it. It's Amazon ONLY. You can't get apps from anywhere else. Tech support says it's "not compatible" with Google Play. That $40 price is with "special options", which means they put adds and wallpapers from their partners in your face. To turn that feature off they charge you another $15. Bite me, Amazon.

That being said, I bought the thing specifically for the Tilt and it works.

Ok, it's your first exposure to the Amazon realm, and you'll likely believe anything they tell you.
But it isn't the case: we have a couple of Fire HD 10s and they are loaded with apps that did not come through Amazon.

It's called "side loading". You just need to download the APK for an app and then execute it.

I suggest the first one you install is ES File Explorer as once you have that the Android app world is your oyster...

Cheers!

At the top end, I've found it overestimates gravity, but as it goes down, it does very well. The last few times it has ended within a point of a measured sample, and even hit it exactly with the Kolsch I kegged today--1.007, right on the nose.

I wanted one primarily so I could estimate when to close up the fermenter to allow it to self-carb. I'm pleased with mine.

Ok, it's your first exposure to the Amazon realm, and you'll likely believe anything they tell you.
But it isn't the case: we have a couple of Fire HD 10s and they are loaded with apps that did not come through Amazon.

It's called "side loading". You just need to download the APK for an app and then execute it.

I suggest the first one you install is ES File Explorer as once you have that the Android app world is your oyster...

Cheers!

Thanks for that. First you have to disable the "security" setting that prevents downloading non-Amazon apps. What can I do with that file explorer?

If you're on a LAN you can connect to your computers to pull/push files as desired.
As well it provides a ton of useful tools including application backup so you can save an app before updating it in case the new version blows goats (it happens - there have been revisions of the HBT app that were nfg)...

Cheers!

What kind of range can I expect from the Tilt? I have it in a plastic bucket in my basement and it loses connection sometimes. Maybe 30 feet, wooden floored house.

image.jpeg
What kind of range can I expect from the Tilt? I have it in a plastic bucket in my basement and it loses connection sometimes. Maybe 30 feet, wooden floored house.

There are various classes of Bluetooth ranges. The typical is a Class 2 that has a range of 30'. Tilt's FAQs indicate the Tilt's range is up to 25'. Thus, you are pushing the outer limits at roughly 30'.

The Bluetooth range is affected by many things like walls, floors, steel, etc that cause it to be reduced. In my case, the range I have with my CF10 is only about a foot. Therefore, I have an old iPhone resting in the CF10's handle.

I guess you could buy a Bluetooth repeater, but it really doesn't sound like you need one. I would try moving the fermenter closer to where you are reading the data or set it up that way next time.

Thanks for that. I was hoping to keep tabs on the ferment from my office in the house. Even if I have to keep the tablet downstairs it'll keep me from having to open the bucket for SG samples.

So, got the Tilt setup with a batch of cider. 1.050 OG, Tilt says 1.049... close enough. Next morning it says 1.059. Uh huh. Last night it says 1.079. A little bit of foam makes the thing go stupid.

What a POS.

Ugh ....so your saying it's not accurate and not to buy it? I've been watching this thread as my intrest in the tilt has grown. No not so sure.

Ugh ....so your saying it's not accurate and not to buy it? I've been watching this thread as my intrest in the tilt has grown. No not so sure.

If you're relying taking manual readings a few times a day (i.e. opening the app and noting the number), you may not be happy with the accuracy that the Tilt provides. IMO,the Tilt really shines when you have it set up with a Tilt Pi or something that continually records readings at set increments. This helps to average the variation and see the overall trend to know when your active fermentation has started, how fast it's progressing, when it's beginning to slow down, and when it's finished. I've been completely satisfied with mine for monitoring all of the above. I don't use it in place of taking a final gravity reading with a hydrometer. The only thing I've noticed that can really mess with the trends is adding dry hops during active fermentation.

Here's an example of the fermentation profile from my most recent batch (a german pils), so you can decide whether the data it's capable of providing would be useful to you:

upload_2019-11-13_9-22-47.png

Thanks for that info . I thought it would be great for monitoring a Lager. Once the fermentation reaches 75% complete I start raising the temp .

Thanks for that info . I thought it would be great for monitoring a Lager. Once the fermentation reaches 75% complete I start raising the temp .

Yep, it's perfect for that - that's exactly what I did with the beer above. I also like it for helping me to spot a good time as fermentation is winding down to switch to my spunding valve for beers that I spund.

For another data point, the following is from an NEIPA fermentation I did with active fermentation dry hops. The large dip at the tail end of active fermentation is where the dry hops went in - you can see that it really messed with the readings, but you can still kinda tell by the overall stability in the data when the fermentation has finished.

upload_2019-11-13_10-4-56.png

I bought it to tell me when it's time to rack my cider and when to add nutrients to my meads. I don't expect it to be dead on accurate, but seeing SG go UP by 30 points when fermentation starts is a bit much to accept. I'll try washing the krausen down into the must and see if the tilt gives me more realistic numbers. But so far, I'm not impressed.

After stirring the cider and getting the foam down it seems to be giving reasonable numbers now. I have the batch in a plastic bucket wrapped in a Cool Zone heater and insulator jacket. I'd really like to extend the range of the signal so I can keep the tablet upstairs in my office. I see that they have a repeater for $60 but that's intended to re-transmit a signal that's blocked by SS fermenters. Dunno how effective it'd be just extending the signal another 20 feet. Anybody use one?

I'm just now getting into Tilt, and have some stupid questions to ask, as I'm a real noob at this sort of thing. I see that I will need a dedicated local device, such as a Fire Tablet, smart phone or Raspberry Pi, close to the fermenter (since I have a SS CF10, I assume it will be REAL close). I would like to have a local display at/near the fermenter (e.g. on the Fire tablet), and also ability to record continuously to cloud. Now the stupid stuff:

1) I assume that the tablet device or R-Pi will receive data from the Tilt via BT. I assume that either can then send data via my wifi service to a cloud recorder (e.g. Google Sheets).
2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of a cheap tablet vs. R-Pi? If they do the same thing, then how could an R-Pi be preferred, especially as a tablet will have a built-in display? Yet I see many people go that route, so there must be some advantage.
3) I assume that I can then access the data/plots via Google Sheets from wherever I am, via my laptop or everyday phone?

Just want to make sure about these basic assumptions before I go out and start buying a tablet or an R-Pi.

Many thanks!

The advantage, to myself and some others who are of an IT bent, of the RPi over a tablet is that the RPi is a fully accessible operating system that we can customize for what we need it to do. Also, I don't like cloud storage.

With a phone or tablet, you're limited to what the Tilt app can do. On my RPi, I modified someone's python script to log to a time-series database and then strapped a graphing engine over the top of that. Now I have a local database of temp and SG data that I can do what I want with. With the addition of a couple of relays, I can use that data to drive a fermentation chamber temperature controller using the temp sensor in the Tilt. I'm an IT chap and I like fiddling like that.

It is more work to set up the RPi, quite a bit more work to be honest, and if you're happy with what the Tilt app provides, (check it out on your phone first if you haven't), then a cheap tablet or phone will just do the job out the box.

Your basic premise is correct, you need some kind of agent to continuously "listen" for the Tilt BT beacon broadcasts, capture same and essentially forward them over a more robust network transport (wifi).

But there is a nifty and wicked cheap solution to be had: TiltBridge. Check it out.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...lt-to-wifi-device-for-tilt-hydrometer.664368/

Cheers!
Thanks. I have seen this site, and like it. But it's still a little beyond my non-existent IT skills to deal with at this time. I am hopeful that
Your basic premise is correct, you need some kind of agent to continuously "listen" for the Tilt BT beacon broadcasts, capture same and essentially forward them over a more robust network transport (wifi).

But there is a nifty and wicked cheap solution to be had: TiltBridge. Check it out.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...lt-to-wifi-device-for-tilt-hydrometer.664368/

Cheers!
Thanks. I have seen this site, and like the tool. But it is still a bit beyond my limited IT skills, and am hopeful that Thorrak's soon-to-be-released updated firmware may get me up to the line. I can follow drawings and recipes, but if I need to deal with coding/editing/debugging on my own beyond very simple items, then I am a blind person in a maze at night without a map. But I'm reading all I can, even if a lot of it looks like Chinese, maybe some of it will begin to sink in via osmosis...!

I have been a pcb designer and tech for more then 30 yrs. By the end of the the day I have had enough bit bucket stuff. Due to this I took the easy way out using a spare fire tablet. It logs to Brewers Friend so I can check on it from anywhere yet no bit twiddling or coding needed.
Tilt bridge looks good but more then I wanted to deal with.

Back