Moldy bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
I have three 6.5 gal buckets that used to be my main fermentors. Now I have carboys and use the buckets for other stuff besides fermenting.

I left one dirty for a day or two, after using it to pour wort through a strainer on brew day. It got moldy.

Would you use it after that to hold wort, even for a couple minutes? I cleaned it and there wasn't a lot of mold, and it isn't sctatched, but I don't want to infect a beer of course.

Yeah none I can see anyway.

I use it to soak bottles and pour wort through only... I figure that is ok... maybe I'll soak it in sanitizer for a day...

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Home Brew mobile app

I just had someone at a home brew store tell me that if I use PB Blast and let the bucket soak for a day and then fill it with a Star San solution and let that sit for 15 min would get rid of a lot of pesky critters that are staying behind and hiding.

Apparently that puts the bucket through a PH shift so great most bacteria can't handle it.

I just had someone at a home brew store tell me that if I use PB Blast and let the bucket soak for a day and then fill it with a Star San solution and let that sit for 15 min would get rid of a lot of pesky critters that are staying behind and hiding.

Apparently that puts the bucket through a PH shift so great most bacteria can't handle it.

I think you mean PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash). PB Blaster is a penetrating catalyst and lubricant that is fantastic at loosening rusted bolts, but is toxic and not something you want anywhere near any brewing equipment. :D

I think you mean PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash). PB Blaster is a penetrating catalyst and lubricant that is fantastic at loosening rusted bolts, but is toxic and not something you want anywhere near any brewing equipment. :D

Ha. I totally do.

Back