Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbruh

Reaction score
This is about 10 days in on my first extract kit. Had good foam cap but now that most everything has fell out this remains on top. It looks to me to be the scum from the pellet hopsfrom the boil. I boiled them in a bag so it was only find material. When I seen it in the foam I was sure that's what it was. Now this is staying up and I'm afraid it's mold. Also it's more green colored than the picture shows. Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• 20211230_121841.jpg
    20211230_121841.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
In my experience mold doesn't grow that way. It usually starts as a few colonies that spread outward like little green/grey/black growing islands. Not evenly dispersed like that. Also, the colonies usually have smoother edges, those edges look more like broken-solids clusters.
They (mold) also get thicker (vertically) as they develop.
That's not to say it couldn't be mold but it doesn't fit the pattern for me.
I wouldn't expect it on a finished (fermented) beer either.
Scoop some out and smear it on a glass or slide to get a better look. The green could still be hop particles.

Thanks guys. I agree. Took my gravity reading (1.011 corrected) and tasted sample seems fine. I'm going to cold crash and moving on. Thanks guys. I love a fast response!

You should do some all grain kits and see what they look like after a really good krausen.

It's really only the obviously fuzzy and greenish/black or blackish/green stuff you need to worry about.

There are some other things that if you might one day you might see in a future batch that will indicate a sour beer. But not all sour beers are bad. Some are intentionally soured.

You should do some all grain kits and see what they look like after a really good krausen.

It's really only the obviously fuzzy and greenish/black or blackish/green stuff you need to worry about.

There are some other things that if you might one day you might see in a future batch that will indicate a sour beer. But not all sour beers are bad. Some are intentionally soured.
I was pretty happy with my krausen at its peak, I just wasn't confident with what to make of the last of the last. I thought it would all settle when it was finished, because that's what my cider did, but I also knew there was allot of differences between the foam cap on the 2 also

Different recipes and different yeasts will sometimes leave a clean or cleaner looking surface. But many times they don't. I've had some I had to shake down a few days before bottling. Though some might not like the idea of disturbing the top and just rack from between.

I don't think it matters much to swirl the beer and get it back in so it can become trub on the bottom. Might take another four days or so for it to clear enough for bottling though.

Back