Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpent

Reaction score
Looks like mold. Did a second ferment. Then this. Yikes! Thoughts? (Pic is upside down)

image.jpg

Rack from underneath the mold. Don't let the racking cane come in contact with it and leave a bit more than usual in the carboy. Hopefully you keg. If so, keg and crash and hope for the best. If you bottle...hmm. Maybe worth racking into another carboy and see if it molds again. I'd think that bottling with re-occurring growth would be iffy.

If it was me, I would probably dump the batch. However if you do what Antony says, I would put some in a glass and give it a taste.

I think i'd dump it and put every bit of my equip in the bathtub filled with a bleach solution. I'd break down every valve, clean every hose, disassemble everything and soak the **** out of it. Then up your cleaning/sanitation game for every batch in the future.

I had a bit of mold after lagering a helles last spring. Just a eensy bit. I racked from underneath immediately (it was ready anyhow) and kegged it. I was crazy sanitary and made sure nothing that was going into the keg came in physical contact with it. I left nearly a gallon in the carboy because I didn't want to stir up the mold. Anyhow, kegged & carbed & stuck in the fridge. It wasn't great in July but I had a pint last week and its getting nice. I think its worth a try. Oxy nuke everything afterwards & if it tastes like a$$ after a few months, dump it.

*edit* I'm a firm believer in "nothing in beer can kill ya" & "don't dump it". Or, at the very least, give it every opportunity to redeem itself before you do. cheers.

I have to laugh. I brewed 4 batches that day and forgot I added vanilla bean pieces to that cream ale. That is what looked like mold. One of the pieces got stuck to the side when I racked to my keg and I had to laugh

Latest posts

Back