Mold on new Scoby, Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frootiez

Reaction score
Hello so i bought some kombucha to grow a new SCOBY and everything was going fine and it was developing however after about a week i had to travel and couldn't bring the tea so i put the developing SCOBY (it was a little gelatinous film at that point) in a little jar and brought it with me. Upon arrival i brewed some sweet tea and added the film after a couple days it had floated back up and was starting to reform however this morning upon inspection i saw a couple tiny dots of mold. The SCOBY seems to be forming fine besides the mold which i skimmed off, should that be okay or do i need to pitch the entire thing? (I dont have access to a new one or kombucha if i pitch it which is why i am hesitant)
Thank You

It was only a couple tiny specks but it definitely looked like mold. However i realized i hadn't acidified the new solution so i added some old kombucha vinegar. The problem is i dont have access to Kombucha or a scoby to start a new one.

Back