Mold? Maybe? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach21b

Reaction score
So here is the story. I was brewing a Kolsch and added 4 pounds of blueberries at flame out. I put in primary and everything was going great. I used the Wyeast Kolsch yeast and it was going to town. Without my knowledge the fermentation got up in my airlock and clogged it. I was fermenting in a Ale Pale, the pressure built up and blew the lid half way off. I found it blown off about 8-12 hours later. I resealed the lid and swapped out the airlock with a new sanitized one. From this moment on I been worried about contamination. Last night I transferred the beer to the secondary. Today when I looked in on it about 18 hours later I seen white spotches on top (see pic). I usually only brew IPAS so I'm use to a layer of green hops sitting on top the carboy. Maybe this is normal for all I know. Usually when I brew a stout or anything that doesn't need to be dry hipped I just go straight from primary to bottle. Also, the beer is sitting in about 67 degrees for temp.

View attachment 1459897248533.jpg

Nope, those are just small bubbles from CO2 coming out of solution, either from slow fermentation, agitation, or temperature change. Since you just racked to secondary, it's probably all three. No big. Infections look like Big Fat Bubbles connected by a white veiny skin, or sometimes big white flakes that cover the entire surface of the beer like an ice floe. You're good! Totally normal!

Back