Mold in Therminator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutsmith6

Reaction score
I noticed a small amount of white fuzzy mold near the wort openings in my therminator today. Water side is clean. Any suggestions on how to clean and prevent this from happening again?

My typical clean regimen involves pumping some hot PBW solution through after brewing, rinsing with hot water, then circulating some star san. Air dry.

I've never had mold showing on my chiller, but I do the same steps to clean mine with one exception. I have a small bristled brush that I use to clean the inside of the ends that my wort goes through. This has always cleaned out my chiller much better than only relying on the pumped water. I've always wanted to take a pressure washer to it, but my current process seems to be working for now. Where do you store the chiller? Maybe this has something to do with it.

Bake it in the oven to kill all the mold, then recycle PBW through it again to get it all out. Defeats the purpose of sterilizing with the oven, put it should flush anything questionable that was created when you baked it.

Other option is PBW, rinse, San star (acid shoud take care of anything left), light rinse, then bake it.l

Back