Mold In Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Racked to secondary yesterday. It's been about 18 hours and I noticed what appears to be white patches. Kinda looks like fine bubbles aggregating together up close but can't tell about others. Primary looked and tasted good. I soaked the secondary with pbw for a day, then rinsed with starsan for 30 and let sit for 6 hours before transferring. What are the chances this is mold?

image-312612968.jpg

Looks like yeast rafts and co2 bubbles to me. I get those some times in my tripels. You just transferred to your secondary so your seeing fermentation still taking place.

There hasn't really been any growth since. They appear to be islands of white froth. No discoloration other than white. This was a 1.071 blonde ale that dropped to 1.011 for secondary. I was concerned for a moment my first brew was a bust! I'm guessing there would be exponential growth if it was mold.

Totally fine! I had the exact same thing in my nut brown two weeks ago. Just yeast rafts and co2. Beer turned out great!

Still on my first batch and same thing happened. Sampled it and there are no off flavors or smell. Will bottle tonight.

Just co2 bubbles floating around. But I do see some misty web lines trying to form. Looks like it anyway,which would be the start of a lacto infection. If it's ready to bottle,do it now.

Back