mold in my fermentation freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialGreg

Reaction score
HELP I need some help with extracting moisture while in the fermentation process. I keep getting mold buildup inside my chest freezer at ale fermentation temperatures and am looking for some advise on how to get ride of it. please any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Greg

clean it out now ,scrub it thoroughly with a bleach solution.
I would try and find some moisture absorbing crystals so it keeps the humidity down. look in your local gun shop.
If I was at work I could grab you a truckload of these things. We get machinery in and they come packed with them all over to prevent rust.

After cleaning get some DampRid from Wally World. Works great.

Yeah, clean it good and get something to absorb the moisture. I have a few of these in my keezer and ferm chamber. They absorb the moisture and you can plug them in to dry and use again.

very frustrating for me...I have 2 freezers I store kegs in after fermenting while waiting for a tap to open. One runs at 40 and one runs at 60...

I leave the drain open but not sure if that's helping to drain moisture or letting it in.

Don't stress too much about it. I run two fridges and a freezer for brewing - all three regularly get mold in them. I've never had mold in a beer.

Ugh. I don't tolerate mold, when I spot it anywhere in my humble brewery it's wiped-down with a mild bleach mix.

To try to stay ahead of it, in my keezer I run a pair of Eva Dry E500s each with a 40mm fan velcro-ed to the case to encourage rapid moisture scavenging. I actually have two pairs so when one pair is ready for a drying cycle the other pair goes in the keezer, I just swap the fans over.
Each E500 can hold ~four ounces of water...

Cheers!

The freezers are for conditioning and storage. Sometimes not opened for weeks

I use this stuff to knock out mold or mildew on anything. Spray on, let it sit a few minutes, wipe off. Even if I don't see mold in my ferm chamber, I give it a cleaning and disinfecting before each brew day.

CBBF_Orgnl30oz_frt_960-0x500-c-default@2x.png

I keep an EvaDry E-500 in my fermentation fridge, and in my keezer. So far no complaints with them. To recharge you just plug them into a wall outlet until the little indicator turns color. If it's not going back into service immediately I store it in a gallon ziplock bag, to keep it from absorbing until I want it to.

Since I started harvesting fermentation gas (keg purging) there is noticeably less moisture in my fermentation chamber.

Back