Mold in fermentation freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNDASJ

Reaction score
Used my fermentation freezer for the first time and checked on it today. I have one bucket of Amber in the freezer and mold began growing on the sides of the bucket. If I scrub the sides and sanitize the outside of the bucket before I open it to transfer to a keg do you think itll be safe? And any tips to keep the mold down?

Used my fermentation freezer for the first time and checked on it today. I have one bucket of Amber in the freezer and mold began growing on the sides of the bucket. If I scrub the sides and sanitize the outside of the bucket before I open it to transfer to a keg do you think itll be safe? And any tips to keep the mold down?

It will be fine. Keeping moisture out will help keep mold out. I've used Damp-Rid buckets and recently got one of these http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry--500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326143709&sr=8-1 to control humidity. Works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure about the mold making it into the batch. if the yeast have had a couple days on the wort before you saw the mold I would think the beer would be alright. A tip to cut down on the mold would be to put a fan in the chamber. circulating air flow makes it harder for mold to start and circulates air making the temperature control more uniform and efficient.

Back