Mold in bottom of used bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigguybrews

Reaction score
Amy ideas out there for removing minimal amounts of mold from bottom of old bottles. Of course now rinse out fresh drank bottles with water but don't want to throw old stockpile out. Thanks

Don't throw them away. Just mix up an appropriate amount of hot oxyclean solution and fill the bottles, let them soak for an hour, and I bet that stuff will rinse right out.

One of those faucet mounted bottle washers works wonders on mold and yeast caked in the bottom of bottles. Then sanitize as normal.

bottlebomber said:
Don't throw them away. Just mix up an appropriate amount of hot oxyclean solution and fill the bottles, let them soak for an hour, and I bet that stuff will rinse right out.

Ok. Thanks for the tip. Ready to sample my first batch of " cascade alley" from ****** tomorrow

I use a cheap 10 gallon tote container to mix up my hot oxy with. Then I can just submerge the bottles in the tote. I works much easier than filling the bottles individually. I do the same for my starsan. I can then just put the lid on the starsan and save it for the next time I want to use it.

I cut the loop off the top of my bottle brush and chucked it in the drill.... But it's for the bottles I get from the bar that usually sit a week.. You'd be grossed out with what I find in em...

for stuck on mold and dried beer residue, I didn't have too much luck w/ oxiclean... Hot and two day soak.. But 15 min with a bleach solution and they lifted right off.

+1 on the brush in the drill. I put a small dog leg bend in mine right at the tip. You can roll through 2 cases in under 15 mins.

Back