Modifying plastic lid to accommodate a breathable silicone stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthson

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking to get away from the glass carboys I have, and move over to fermenting in a 7 gal plastic bucket (Like Clawhammer supply does). I see lots of mod videos/instructions online for adding a grommet to the lid for a bubbler airlock. I don't have any of those anymore. I made the switch to breathable silicone stoppers a long time ago, and don't ever want to go back. So my question is whether or not I can just drill a hole in the lid, sand it down, and insert a breathable silicone stopper. Will it be airtight? Or am I dreaming?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.36.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.36.50 AM.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.36.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.36.57 AM.png
    736.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.37.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 3.37.45 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes, you can either buy a lid with no hole or one with a small hole and drill the right sized hole in the lid.

I know I’ve seen a lid being sold with a #7 hole, but a quick Google search for silicone stoppers leads me to believe you need a #10. Measure twice, drill once.

If you are replacing an existing hole, drill through a piece of wood first and use it as a guide. Honestly, you can do that even if you are drilling a solid lid, too, as it will keep the bit from running on you.

It'll be airtight enough.

I've used spade bits to cut holes in plastic buckets and lids with good success. Though every once in a great while the plastic gets a tear or crack in it.

Hole saws do a better more predictable job. Some types of plastic you can go a fast rpm, others prefer a slow rpm.

With either, if you back it up with a piece of wood while drilling, usually you get a cleaner cut.

I'd avoid twist drill bits, unless they are for small holes say maybe 3/8" or less. Or you have some extra lids to practice with.

Grommets can be found all over if you look and google with the right terms. But a regular rubber or silicone stopper should be snug enough in the lid if you size the hole correctly for the stopper.

Back