Modding a whiseky barrel into a fridge using a thermoelectric cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swab

Reaction score
I'm getting my hands on an old whiskey barrel and hoping to modify it into a fridge. My plan is to build a square box inside the barrel, and insulate between the box and the sides of the barrel.

I've been lurking around the forums and noticed that a few people have tried using pelteir thermoelectric coolers for various applications.

So I am thinking getting a few pelteir thermoelectric coolerss - getting a large heatsincs from ebay. putting some fans on the heatsinc to get rid of the hot and using this to cool the fridge down.

I have two things that I am not sure about.

1. Am I going to be generating enough heat that the barrel will, say, light on fire.

2. How many/How big a peltier cooler would I need?

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

I'm getting my hands on an old whiskey barrel and hoping to modify it into a fridge. My plan is to build a square box inside the barrel, and insulate between the box and the sides of the barrel.

Right up to that point you are good. Peltiers are shockingly inefficient - you'll have a huge power bill and/or a warm "fridge" if you go that route. Just rip a mini-fridge (or find one to start with that fits in a whiskey barrel) and use a normal compressor/coil refrigeration unit - far more effective and efficient.

I noticed that there are some 0.5 and 1.0 cu. ft. minifridges that now use peltier coolers. I was tempted to buy two of these and tear them appart to use on my fermentation chiller. The problem with the current affordable peltiers is they are great at keeping things cold, but not so good at the initial cooling. I ended up buying a 3 cu. ft minifridge which I totally disassembled and installed into my chiller. It is just about finished. I'll post pics when it is up and running.

Pics would be great - I do have an old fridge (well, my current keg fridge) that I can rip apart, so I'll probably do that... just hope i don't bust a line in the process!

Back