Mobile brewstand using webserver without internet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purdman10

Reaction score
I am building a brewstand to be hauled by trailer to different brewing events, but I need to get an IP address for the software to control my system. Is there a way to connect perhaps with a mobile router to serve the webpage without connecting to the ISP?

Would you be alternating between having and not having a DHCP server? I'd suggest you just assign static IPs to any device in your brew trailer. You'd have a local network then that you can access without having internet, wifi, etc.

Is that not an option?

A RPI 2 is the webserver wirelessly connected to an esp-01 or a wiznet820io and travel router on a teensynet board all inside a control cabinet. But at startup, the esp-01 or wiznet connects to an ip address, and the RPI webserver uses another address, which is the webpage controlling the teensynet board. So how how would l create this self contained mini lan? I know that it uses UDP.

So your issue is LAN ip address assignment for the esp and the rpi behind your "travel router" (whatever that means)?

Should be an easy issue to solve if both esp and rpi support fixed ip address assignment: just assign them to addresses within the scope of your travel router's lan side.

eg: if the router's lan address (aka gateway address) is 192.168.1.1, assign fixed ip addresses to the esp and rpi like 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101.

The rpi for sure supports fixed address assignment, but if your esp code does not, dig into your "travel router" guide and see if you can have it associate an ip address with a mac address and always assign the same ip address to the esp.

Once you get that far, configure your agent web pages to look for each other at the appropriate addresses...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. I am gathering with fixed addresses I do not need an internet connection at all, correct? I threw a "travel modem" (a little tp-link 703n 3g modem) in there thinking I had to use a router of some kind so the board an the RPI could talk to each other.

Well, you are gonna need something to connect them together, but it doesn't need to be internet accessible as long as nothing that you want to display requires it. Most cheap routers will do what you want.

Thanks all, I will give that a shot with the little router, and static addresses. One other question though. I have that little router in client mode to connect to my main router in AP mode. I assume I change the little router to AP mode for that setup?

Back