Mobile beer canning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with this? We have a family event where we are going tubing down the river and glass is not allowed. Looking for something in the Houston area but I am worried that my small amount (prob 20 gallons) wouldn't be worth it for some of these mobile canners. Any help would be much appreciated.

I haven't researched much on this but I was talking with the owner at my local brewery he was saying the guy he contacted estimated 5-10 gallons of loss per bottling run

If nothing turns up here I'd call a couple of the largest home brew supply stores in Houston and see if they know of a pathway to small batch canning...

Cheers!

I recently purchased what I think is a modified 225 all american canner from lionbrewingsolutuons on ebay. I was nervous about their claim to be able to do 12 and 16 ounce cans. The seller gave me some pointers and it took a few cans to dial in, but it did great. I have a 16 ounce can of beer I've been moving in and out of the fridge trying to give it a workout for the past week. I plan on opening it today so I will post back. As of now I would recommend that as a cheaper alternative to the oktober mk16

NE IPA that was in the can for a week. Still nicely carbed and no real signs of oxidation. I used the Blichmann beer gun to purge and fill the can.

Looks pretty sweet! Think I have found a new toy to save up for. Bit too much and too soon for this trip. Might have to just go with some pet plastic bottles. Think I'll try a couple of the larger homebrew stores as Day Trippr mentioned. Thanks all for the input.

Do you know this?

minikeg001.jpg

Can be a solution, perhaps.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Mini-Keg-with-Tap_p_2959.html

How about a stainless growler?

Problem with that and the mini keg kind of set up is you really don't want to be trying to pour beer in cups when travelling down the rapids part. Part of the river you can only have a cooler with a lock on it because inevitably it tumps over and drops all your beer to the bottom of the river. I have a "travelling kegerator for the house we are staying in, just looking for something to take while floating down the river.

All good ideas though and I really appreciate the feedback.

maxresdefault.jpg

I recently purchased what I think is a modified 225 all american canner from lionbrewingsolutuons on ebay. I was nervous about their claim to be able to do 12 and 16 ounce cans. The seller gave me some pointers and it took a few cans to dial in, but it did great. I have a 16 ounce can of beer I've been moving in and out of the fridge trying to give it a workout for the past week. I plan on opening it today so I will post back. As of now I would recommend that as a cheaper alternative to the oktober mk16

Have you posted complete review of the unit anywhere by any chance?
If not could I talk you into it?

I've used a company locally in Portland called Crossroads Mobile Canning. You bring him a corny or sanke, whatever size you want, he runs a little bit through the lines, and fills 2 cans at a time. Then one can at a time on the sealer. We did 40-45 cans in about 15-20 minutes for 12oz. Another time I did 16oz cans and it went even faster. The loss was negligible in my opinion, no more so than bottling.

He does it for breweries and sometimes will have canning days with our local club. One time I went to him down at his house and we canned there. He loads it on a liftgate truck and travels a bunch. Pretty sweet setup.

Did it for my wedding beer (Raspberry ale), and another time for a "barrel" aged vanilla porter I did.

Have you posted complete review of the unit anywhere by any chance?
If not could I talk you into it?

I have not posted a complete review anywhere and I just realized the picture I posted on here was just of my pour which gives you zero info. I have a beer that will be getting kegged next week and I plan on canning more than just a couple cans so I will make sure to take lots of pictures and post back on here. If I don't post anything in the next 3 weeks shoot me a PM to post it all up on here.

I will throw this out there as well. If there is anyone reasonably close to Bay City, MI I would be more than happy to meet up with you and you can check/try it out.

Back