Mo Betta Bretta - Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
I am planning my next batch and came across the recipe in Extreme Brewing - Mo Betta Bretta, this seems straight fowards however it calls for Brett Yeast WLP 645. Since I am relatively new to brewing and only have one set of equipment i did not want to infect it all with a Brett strain this soon. Does anyone have any non Brettanomyces yeasts that would work well with this recipe, such as a Saison yeast or Belgian Pale yeast.

Recipe:
7 lbs Pils or Light DME
3/4 lb Flaked Oats
3/4 lb Munich Malt
3/4 lb Cara-Pils Malt
1/4 oz German Magnum (i used an IBU Calc and will probably end up using 1/2 oz)
WLP 645

Yea, everything about that beer you like comes from using brett. It's just another yeast- don't be afraid of it. You're not infecting anything, you're innoculating, in service of beer.

Yea, everything about that beer you like comes from using brett. It's just another yeast- don't be afraid of it. You're not infecting anything, you're innoculating, in service of beer.

but after i use the Brett yeast wont it be innoculate all of my equipment that touches it?

It's pretty easy to disinfect glass and hard plastic, as long as you don't have any scratches. Do what you'd normally do to sanitize, adding a bleach soak if you're really worried. All the soft plastic is harder to disinfect, but you can buy separate clean and bretty sets of tubing and whatnot if you plan on brewing with Brett on a regular basis.

Brett is yeast so is susceptible to the same cleaning/sanitizing compounds as Sacch strains. Bacteria are much more difficult to get rid of. However, this same question came up in another thread recently and it was mentioned that what makes Brett more troublesome is that it only takes a small amount of it to take hold in a beer. So, it comes down to how confident are you in your sanitizing process?

Back