Mmmm sweet wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vekta

Reaction score
Today was the day I finally had time to crack open my grains and hops and cook up some beer. This is my first batch. An Amber Ale.

According to calculations I made using an online recipe calculator my OG should be around 1.053. I hit it RIGHT on the dot.:eek: Wasn't expecting that.

I tasted the wort and it was pretty good. I tasted it after the hops had been added and cooled to 72(ish)Degrees F and it still tasted sweet but had a nice pine/wood after taste to it. So far seems to be going well. Now I just have to watch the air lock for the next 2-3 days and see what happens.

Thanks to all the people that helped make this first brew possible. :mug:

You'd be better off NOT watching the airlock, its only a means to allow gas to escape. When it stops bubbling it doesn't mean it's done fermenting. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks, unless you plan on using secondary, if so leave it in primary for at least 1 week or until final gravity is reached then transfer to secondary for another 2+ weeks.

You'd be better off NOT watching the airlock, its only a means to allow gas to escape. When it stops bubbling it doesn't mean it's done fermenting. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks, unless you plan on using secondary, if so leave it in primary for at least 1 week or until final gravity is reached then transfer to secondary for another 2+ weeks.

Nope, but I am watching the Krausen silhouette creep up the side of the bucket. Kinda neat. I hear it a whole lot more than I see it. It's like an open soda pop fizzing away in the corner of my room. :drunk:

Back