MLT Return - Top or side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 10 gal cooler to replace my old rectangular cooler MLT in my HERMS system.

I plan to return the wort to the cooler via loc line and have seen that a lot of people install the return through the lid of the cooler rather than the side. I was thinking of doing it on the side so I have the flexibility to take off the lid when necessary during the mash and not have to worry about the position of the loc line. Does anyone use the side of the cooler? The only possible downfall I could see would be that for larger batches the wort level may get as high as the return. (I brew exclusively 5 gal batches now, but could see myself doing 10 gal once in awhile but mostly for beers on the smaller side of things)

Thoughts?

Beacuse you will lose volume I would suggest the lid

Do you have a similar setup? I guess my concern is the logistics of moving the lid during the mash.

Do you screw the lid on all the way or just leave it resting on top? screwing it with the return hose attached seems impossible and leaving it resting would result in heat loss (not too big of a deal in a HERMS since it's controlled).

Or do you have a cooler that doesn't have threads in the lid? (can pop the lid in/out rather than screw) Or maybe I just should set it and forget it and not open it at all.

I have a standard 10 gallon Igloo round cooler and I put my return through the side, as far up as possible. I never, ever have any issues with capacity or less volume, but I exclusively do 5 gallon batches (5.5 technically, to account for beer lost in the fermenter, chiller, hoses, etc).

The only thing to be concerned about if you go through the side, is this: make sure you drill the hole far enough down so that you can still fit the lid on without the bottom of the lid (which extends into the MLT) hitting the input fitting.

I do 10gals batches in my Round 10gal cooler MLT. I use a spinning sparge arm. I drilled a hole in the top center, and pushed the tube of the spare arm through it. That way I can move it up/down for varying mash depths. I can take the top off by lifting it straight up and not disturbing the spinning arm. I am planning to transition to something like the lineloc to recirc better. When I do, I will use that hole in the top.

I'm looking at buying a 10 gal cooler to replace my old rectangular cooler MLT in my HERMS system.

I plan to return the wort to the cooler via loc line and have seen that a lot of people install the return through the lid of the cooler rather than the side. I was thinking of doing it on the side so I have the flexibility to take off the lid when necessary during the mash and not have to worry about the position of the loc line. Does anyone use the side of the cooler? The only possible downfall I could see would be that for larger batches the wort level may get as high as the return. (I brew exclusively 5 gal batches now, but could see myself doing 10 gal once in awhile but mostly for beers on the smaller side of things)

Thoughts?

Through the side as close to the top as possible.. If you ever want to stir or move the mash around while adding water & mashing in - you will be glad that you did... Trust me...

I used to have mine in the top & hated having to turn the recirculation off (HERMS) everytime I wanted to take a peek on things...

Does anyone use the side of the cooler? The only possible downfall I could see would be that for larger batches the wort level may get as high as the return.

Yep, I installed my return line on the side of my mash tun:

img_0189-64707.jpg

I used this bulkhead from brewhardware.com and a length of LocLine on the inside to control the wort return height. The LocLine has a spray wort aerator attached to the end to divert the liquid stream and avoid channeling. When I'm recirculating my mash, I place the aerator below the level of the wort, and when I'm fly sparging, I move it above the liquid level.

The only downside of going through the side is that you need to be careful not to knock the LocLine when mashing in and stirring your mash. I usually remove the LocLine assembly before cleaning to avoid damaging it.

Back