MLT Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
I am ready to move to all grain. I have done 3 extract brews all using specialty grain. I also got 6 gallons of second running from Iron Hill brewpub for a brew contest last week and brewed a batch with that.

Brewing the batch with the second runnings has produced a much better tasting beer than any of the 3 extract brews. Add to the fact that I am a bit bored using extract and I hate the syrup and always seem to get it all over.

I am not too interested in doing BIG beers. Ironically though I have a Stout that started at 1.072 and the Iron Hill brew started at 1.091. But I am not interested in making that a regular occurrence.

I have a 5 gallon round cooler sitting in my garage right now. I did not pay a dime for it. My question is should I just start out with that thing and then when I out grow it buy a bigger one? Or should I just wait till I can afford to buy a bigger one? I could buy one now but then I am not going to be brewing anything for a month or so. I will blow all my brew budget on equipment.

I figure at the very worst if I decide to brew a HG brew I can add DME to my boil to up the fermentables.

A five gallon cooler will be more than adequate for most beers you want to brew since you said you don't want to do very big beers. I used a five gallon for my very first AG brew and it was more than big enough. Save your money so you can brew beer instead of prepare to brew beer.

-AJ

I am ready to move to all grain. I have done 3 extract brews all using specialty grain. I also got 6 gallons of second running from Iron Hill brewpub for a brew contest last week and brewed a batch with that.

Brewing the batch with the second runnings has produced a much better tasting beer than any of the 3 extract brews. Add to the fact that I am a bit bored using extract and I hate the syrup and always seem to get it all over.

I am not too interested in doing BIG beers. Ironically though I have a Stout that started at 1.072 and the Iron Hill brew started at 1.091. But I am not interested in making that a regular occurrence.

I have a 5 gallon round cooler sitting in my garage right now. I did not pay a dime for it. My question is should I just start out with that thing and then when I out grow it buy a bigger one? Or should I just wait till I can afford to buy a bigger one? I could buy one now but then I am not going to be brewing anything for a month or so. I will blow all my brew budget on equipment.

I figure at the very worst if I decide to brew a HG brew I can add DME to my boil to up the fermentables.

I would start with the freebie myself. Although a cooler is pretty cheap. I think the real question you should ask is how far do you want to take your mini brewery? I don't mean a pipe dream, I mean something tangible that you can really see yourself doing. How big of a batch do you really want to do?

I myself like 5 gallon batches. I like to brew, and if I brew every other weekend I can stay in rotation with batches with just the wife and I enjoying the fruits of the hobby. I run a small kegorator with 2 5 gallon kegs on tap. So I am always with 2 flavors, unless we entertain a few friends.

Thanks I just need some confirmation of my own thoughts really.

Another thing. I am thinking it is not worth it to get a false bottom and I should just go with the mesh screen type. I am thinking that route because it will be cheaper than buying a false bottom.

I figure buying a false bottom for a 5 gallon cooler will become junk when I move to a bigger cooler.

Back