MLT heat control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably won't work very well. It's much more difficult to heat the large volume of the mash than you might think. You need to apply a lot of heat and somehow distribute that heat quickly and evenly throughout the mash. I see that they have a 120vac 1440 watt version and they can heat up to 450*F. OTOH, it might work if you could rig your MT with a power stirring mechanism of some kind. They don't show any prices on that website, but I'm gonna guess that they are not cheap. Interesting piece of equipment though, I will say that. Let us know if you try brewing with one and how it worked for you.

I would think you wouldn't use it to heat but more as temp control of the mash. But if it's expensive, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Ya thats what im looking for is a way to just maintain heat during the mash. I'll be using direct fire to get strike temp

Ya thats what im looking for is a way to just maintain heat during the mash. I'll be using direct fire to get strike temp

Direct fire to reach strike temp with only water is one thing. Ramping up temps with direct fire for step mashes or to reach mash out temps is quite another. These require circulation of the wort as simply stirring won't do it. Maintaining the grain bed temp is much easier, but it will also require circulation or an insulated mash tun. IMO, the bottom line would be that the heat belt would not have an advantage over simply using a cooler for a single infusion mash unless you are using a pump and then you may as well just direct fire the tun as you already have the burner. It might work as an auxiliary heat source in addition to a burner while recirculating. Actually, I like that idea a lot and I'm going to look into trying it if the cost isn't too over the top, which I think it may be. I'll post back the prices after I contact the dealer.

Might work, but a bit pricey. :eek:

HeatTape.jpg

I'd really like to test one out, but not for $260. OTOH, if I knew for sure that it worked well the cost might be justified. I would want the 1800 watt model.

I tried using an electric blanket from Wally World on my cooler MLT. Seemed to help in the summer, but didn't really do anything in the winter.

Back