Mlt/fc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal2814

Reaction score
So I finally am giving up my bag setup to move to a cooler-based MLT. I'm using a 10 gallon square water cooler with the metal braid setup for draining. I got the cooler for $20 at Coleman and have already added the MLT parts. I also have a keg I'll soon be making a keggle out of and plan to move to 10 gallon batches.

I already had one cooler just like it that I've been using for a fermentation chamber. My Ale Pail fits inside it with just enough room to add some ice and water. Since its insulated on the sides when used this way (but lid has to stay off), I've been able to keep the swamp water at 49F-58F by adding 3-4lbs of ice once daily (which is incredible compared to my old ice-devouring setup).

My plan for 10 gallon batches is to do any cold ferments in two Ale Pails in the two coolers (one MLT and one unmodified). Are there any consequences to using the MLT this way? When I do cold fermentations, I usually go 1 week cold and 1 week at room temp before lagering so I don't think tying up the MLT will be an issue. I generally don't brew more than once per week. I figure I'll need to clean the MLT cooler and add some sanitizer to my swamp water since the MLT has come in contact with the grains pre-boil and I don't want to raise the risk of infection too much. Am I missing anything else? Anyone have any further advice?

A bag setup is a little impractical for 10 gallon batches. I'm still going to use a nylon laundry bag to help with stuck sparges but I just really don't want to deal with hoisting a 10 gallon batch worth of grain and absorbed mash water.

The MLT part worked fine for my 5 gallon batch test run. It cleans out a lot easier than I expected so I think as long as I'm careful with sanitation, it'll work ok pulling double duty as a fermentation chamber, too. I guess we'll find out soon.

Latest posts

Back