MK II Pump - easier priming on the fly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suitbrewing

Reaction score
I want to add parts to my Mark II pump which will make priming on the fly easier.

Having seen how this is achieved on the Blichmann Riptide pump I am wondering whether I can just add a T fitting where the bottom of the T will be installed with a bleeding valve. Am I missing something? Has anyone seen any stainless steel 1/2" bleeding valves?

Something along this lines:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pne...a2-4e0b-b770-3eca78294708&transAbTest=ae803_5

Its horizontal and is currently seating one meter below the stand on which my HLT and Mash Tun are seating.

I tried to put together a drawing if it helps

upload_2019-2-6_17-45-17.png

The ones you linked to are probably fine. Although I would try to find a ss one. You could actually just swage down to 1/4 inch and put a ball valve in for a bleeder.

So I went to the hardware store today and bought nickel plated brass fittings to test the solution.
I will replace with SS bits once I am sure it works ok.

In the possible configurations below, I am worried that in option 1, bleeding will create a mess with wort/water spilling on the pump head, whilst in option 2 I will be able to bleed into a bucket.

Below is what I bought:

Configuration 1 - Bleed valve looking upwards

upload_2019-2-7_14-55-49.png

Option 2 Bleed valve looking downwards (I will also use the 90o angle bit here)

upload_2019-2-7_14-56-48.png

They also had this auto priming valve (could one just connect this instead of the bleed ball valve and expect the pump to autoprime? Who don't we all do this then????)

upload_2019-2-7_14-58-12.png
upload_2019-2-7_14-58-31.png

Option one is the only one I would use. Making a mess is a concern. Maybe put a 90 on it to direct wort away from the pump. I'm not sure how I would do it with the pump mounted such as yours. You would eliminate a lot of the problem by having the pump rotated to the vertical position, which may not be possible in your situation. The hot water air release valve may work. I don't think it will, but you could always try it. They tend to foul fairly easy, so make sure you keep it clean inside. Which could be an issue.

Back