Induction based RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MildAvers

Reaction score
Does an induction based RIMS tube exist or has anyone experimented with making one?

It seems the controllers are available on Alibaba Express with simple on/off input control.

Interesting idea. I don’t know enough about induction to know if it will work in a tube configuration. That said, there was a iRIMs design on here a while back, where external resistive heaters were wrapped wound a tube.

Apparently these boards are used to drive coils on "steel barrels (i.e. tubes)" to melt plastic (plastic injection). One question is - would the thickness of a steel tube with tri-clamp fittings on each end be enough to handle the heat.

Induction heater control boards:

Manufacturer website
Board Manuals

Another example

Might be worth the time to investigate or build a prototype.

About half way down this page there's a diagram of the induction heater, temp controller and coil.

Apparently there's stainless tubing and stainless pipe and another pipe. Not sure what the difference is, maybe liquid carrying (pipe) vs. load bearing (used to construct something).

1/8 - 1/4 in. wall thickness would probably be appropriate for this application. The ends (1/2" NPT, TriClover, etc...) would need to be welded in either case.

I think the insulation is a must. I built mine as the iRIMS as BrunDog already mentioned, and it helps a great deal to keep the heat in the tube. With the probe on the outlet of the HEX I have not had any trouble with overshooting temps.

Back