Mixing yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
On a bigger beer if I want to rehydrate and pitch two packets of yeast, what would be the result of using two different yeasts if they were meant for the same style of beer?

Personally, I wouldn't waste the time or money. Each strain has it's own characteristics. Mixing them produces unknown results.

Are you trying for something specific? For my 5 year aged 19.75% barleywine I intentionally used 2 different strains, one standard clean fermenting ale yeast and a more high gravity Belgian strain that was more alchohol tolerant and was known to produce certain flavor esters at certain temps that I was looking for.

As this is the Beginners Forum, I'm presuming the OP has an extra packet of dry yeast and want's to know if he can skip a trip to the store.

Revvy, you're shooting for a specific result.
If you've got the experience and the goal is to shoot for certain dryness, esters, etc. etc..... than sure... go for it!

What beer and what yeasts? I would be inclined to go for it. You may end up with your own house yeast. I doubt it will make bad beer especially since you say they are similar yeasts.

Back