Mixing yeast strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tidwellc

Reaction score
I'm looking at a particular recipe that is telling me to use two different yeast strains, namely WLP351 & 3068.

How should one go about doing this? Simply pitch both vials into the wort? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that since two vials are being used, there's probably no need to make a starter? :confused:

I once did a mix when I did a cream ale so I could try the white labs cream ale blend against just doing my own blend. Got some good results. Anyway I had no issue pitching them straight in, but the beer was fairly low gravity (1.040). So depending on what you expect the gravity to be you may want to consider a starter.

It's just a hefeweizen with about 6 lbs of extract. I don't remember off the top of my head what the target O.G. is, but I don't imagine its very high.

You'll probably be fine wi just pitching the two vials. As long as they aren't old you shouldn't have any long lag times.

Or split the batch, ferment separately, then blend post-fermentation. Then again, those two are similar enough that one shouldn't out-compete the other, so pitching both together should be fine.

Well I went to the brew supply to pick everything up, and the guy at the store didn't seem to have any idea what I was wanting to do. After many minutes of frustration trying to explain it to him, I gave up and ended up buying two packets of Weienstephaner. May not end up exactly the way recipe envisions, but very close and should still end up a tasty beer nonetheless.

...the guy at the store didn't seem to have any idea what I was wanting to do. After many minutes of frustration trying to explain it to him...

Common occurrence, unfortunately. Stick to your guns. Don't be dissuaded next time.

This time, yes, you will still have tasty beer. That's my favorite yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back