mixing windsor and US-05; should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorobrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing a grapefruit IPA-using a zest/vodka tincture at kegging, 6 gal (23L), expected SG is 1.064.

I know I should use 2 packs of rehydrated yeast, thing is I have 1 packet of US-05, 1 packet of S-04 and 1 packet of Windsor yeast.

I don't think I'll ever use the windsor yeast by itself, and was thinking it might be good with the 05 in a hoppy, grapefruit IPA - plus a good way to get rid of it without just tossing it in the trash.

Any thoughts? Maybe better to blend 05 with 04?

Any advice would be much appreciate!

Matt

Concidering how cheap dry yeast is, I wouldn't risk the other ingredients for making something such experimental. But if you must, use S-04 in the blend with any of the other two, as it has the best flocculation properties. I avoid Windsor because it stays in suspension for long, and therefore giving a yeasty taste.

One pack is enough. I'd try the US-05 packet alone. Dry packs of yeast contain twice as many cells as you need anyway, or so says Pope Jamil. Review this ongoing thread from the AHA forum:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27438.0

According to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html you'll need 1.3 packets of 11,5g yeast packs (1 pack contain 200 billion yeast cells, 269 billion cells is needed). I don't know how much this matter, but it is slighty less than the recommended pitch rate.

Thanks for all the advice y'all, I've pitched 1 US-05 in a similar brew and it worked fine, I think I might just pitch one pack of 05 and call it a day, a brew day that is :)

Concidering how cheap dry yeast is, I wouldn't risk the other ingredients for making something such experimental. But if you must, use S-04 in the blend with any of the other two, as it has the best flocculation properties. I avoid Windsor because it stays in suspension for long, and therefore giving a yeasty taste.

This yeast from White Labs is the same idea as mixing in the S-04:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/white-labs-worlds-yeast-blend.html

I cold crash now, so I can tolerate US-05... but before I started cold crashing my US-05 would not drop.

Haze is something that a little gelatin can fix in 48 hours. Personally all I do with gelatin is boil a half cup of water in a glass in the microwave (takes a couple minutes), then remove from the microwave, add a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin (I use Knox brand) and stir with a clean spoon until dissolved. Cool slightly then add to your fermenter and swirl the fermenter slightly. A couple days later, your beer is clear as crystal.

If you pitch the Windsor, the S04 / US05 should help it to flocculate. To be fair, it has ok esters to it.

Back