Mixing Starsan by the gallon using digtal scale. Does this sound right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I want to mix Starsan one gallon at a time. The directions say 1oz per 5 gals so if I put my 1 gal jug on the digiscale and add 6 grams of Starsan and then fill to the top with distilled water, will that give me the proper dilution?

They are fluid ounces and the star san container should have a small measuring cup. Personally I use a small plastic syringe that I keep attached to the container with a rubber band.

If you want to use your scale I would first measure how much 6 mL of star san weighs.

I did the math a while back. Here are the values:

5 gallons = 640 Ounces of water
1 oz = 29.5 milliliter of star san
1 gal solution = 5.9 milliliter of star san for one gallon of water
OR 1.2 tsp

I myself make about 3 quarts (96 ounces), and use ~4.5 ml

I want to mix Starsan one gallon at a time. The directions say 1oz per 5 gals so if I put my 1 gal jug on the digiscale and add 6 grams of Starsan and then fill to the top with distilled water, will that give me the proper dilution?

That won't work. Measure out 6 grams in 3785 grams?

As said before, use a 10ml syringe: 6 ml Starsan per gallon. Easy peasy and very accurate.

I use a small 10ml graduate if I need a gallon, but usually I prepare 2.5 or 5 gallons.

Last edited:
I use the 8 Oz squeeze dispenser and fill the 1 Oz reservoir to just 1/4oz and add that to an ice cream pail of hot water.

I don't want to buy or mess with a syringe so I just figured out the proper weight in grams. I measured 1oz on my digiscale three times and they averaged 40g, so 40/5=8grams of Starsan per gal. Thats easy for me to measure when pouring slowly from the container into a gal jug.

I don't want to buy or mess with a syringe so I just figured out the proper weight in grams. I measured 1oz on my digiscale three times and they averaged 40g, so 40/5=8grams of Starsan per gal. Thats easy for me to measure when pouring slowly from the container into a gal jug.

Infant medicine syringe is free at pharmacies behind counter

I'm with you. Why mess with the syringe. I came up with 36.5 g/oz, but I like your round number better.

I mix in a 1 quart spray bottle. I put the empty bottle on my scale and pour in 2 grams of Starsan and then fill the bottle with RO water. Can't get much easier than that!

I use the 8 Oz squeeze dispenser and fill the 1 Oz reservoir to just 1/4oz and add that to an ice cream pail of hot water.

I do this and add that slightly-less-than 1/4oz of concentrate to a one gallon jug of distilled water. pH always checks out fine.

No reason to make this any harder than it has to be.

Latest posts

Back