Mixing bittering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBearForge

Reaction score
I need a full ounce of bittering hops for an IPA recipe. I have half an ounce of Chinook already, think it would be ok to add half an ounce of Columbus (Tomahawk) I also have to make up the full ounce?

There are two components of hops that you need to take into account, weight and alpha acid percentage. Post the hop portion of the recipe and we can help you out. Hops are usually listed like this:

1oz Chinook 6% AA 60 mins

Well I'm afraid you have me there, I was buying the ingredients for an IPA on the fly at my LHBS and wanted a full ounce of Chinook but they didn't have the plugs I wanted to use so I picked up a full ounce of Columbus instead. I haven't calculated the final recipe/amounts yet but if the only concern with bittering hops is the IBU contribution there shouldn't be a problem. My Chinook is 14% and my Columbus is 14.4%. I'm not even concerned about the total IBUs at this point as long as it's in the ball bark of 60-65.

The only sure thing of my recipe is the malt bill: Seven lbs. of pale LME and 2 lbs. of Munich LME in a three gallon boil with a late addition of half the LME.

So I either use the .5 oz of Chinook and .5 oz of Columbus if whatever flavor contribution they have is compatible (which I believe they would be) or I use all Columbus for the sake of consistency.

Cascade will make up the flavoring additions so the final recipe should be something like this:

7 lbs. pale LME
2 lbs. Munich LME (half of LME added at flameout)
1 lb. Crystal 60L

1 oz. Columbus (14.4%) 60 minutes
OR
.5 oz. Chinook (14%) and .5 Columbus (14.4%) 60 minutes

2 oz. Cascade (7.9%) 15 minutes
or
1 oz. Cascade (7.9%) 30 minutes (haven't decided yet)

Fifteen minute or Five minute Cascade addition??? (decision based on previous addition)

Dry Hop addition???

As you can see I still have a little work to do putting the recipe together but at least I have all the ingredients I need!

Back