Mixed results on my last two beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
Sometime back I split a can of ale malt extract and made two 3 gallon batches. One was pumpkin and the other was a molasses flavored beer. I sampled both on the day I bottled. The molasses ale was sweet but almost no alcohol I thought, while the pumpkin I over-spiced. I waited two more weeks and firsted opened up a liter of the molasses ale.... It grew less sweet, a lil bit more hoppiness, and started getting a buzz off of it. The pumpkin was still over spiced, but now with a hop taste like an ipa. On the pumpkin ale's defense this year's batch of harvest moon tastes more bitter than last year's... Or my memory of how good last year's Harvest Moon was off. I used a full once of hop pellets per three gallon batch which may have been my mistake on the pumpkin ale, along with putting spice in each bottle instead of a bit in the bucket.

My conclusions;
1. half ounce of hops per 3 gallon batch unless i want to make an ipa type beer, which I do like.
2. spice the bottling bucket with less pumpkin pie spice
3. Molasses ale shows the bitters from the molasses with time, but is dang good.

I have a couple of theories, but without diving into your brewing process or your recipes, it's really hard to diagnose. More than likely, the pumpkin beer will fade with time. The time depends on the recipe.

Also when you speak of in your conclusions for "half ounce of hops per 3 gallon..." All hops are different, so you shouldn't make such a broad conclusion. Maybe half ounce of (insert hop type used) hops for this recipe.

In regards to your observation with the Harvest Moon, you could be developing your palate, changing what you think of for all beers.

I wasn't using a set recipe so I was using an a malt extract close to in size with what I've used in a whole kit before, so I was experimenting somewhat. Perhaps I should've looked over the recipe section. I was using cascade hops in the batches.

I am developing my palate a bit when it comes to beers.... It seems an ipa by it's hoppy aroma gets me to drooling with anticipation. I'm not turning my nose up at other beer as I'm getting away from mass produced beer mostly. I do like a regular Miller from to time as it's not a bad example of a pilsner.

+1 on being a little general with your hops statement.

Half ounce of hops at flameout vs a half ounce at boil is completely different.
If you are experimenting and not sure how much you like hops yet, read up on hop utilization. Example: I recently did my first no-chill batch and had to read up plenty of how to change my hops from the recipe's schedule. Because my hops will be staying longer at high temps I will be getting many more IBUs out of them than what the recipe tells me i should expect.

I do like a regular Miller from to time as it's not a bad example of a pilsner.

Come on man! (If you need the Football Reference, I'll give it to you.) I'm not going to diss you publicly on the boards because I drink my fair share of Natty Ice when I need to, but I'm not calling it a "decent" example of a beer style. Go out and drink a Pilsner Urquell if you need a mass example of a "Pilsner" style. ;)

Just playing...Enjoy your brewing...

:mug:

Wally

I actually like the Pilsner Urquell better, but stores keep it sporadically at best in my area.

Next time, I would add the pumpkin spices in the bottling bucket, definitely not in each bottle. (Also, sounds very time consuming! Kudos on sticking that one out!)

I drink my fair share of Natty Ice when I need to, but I'm not calling it a "decent" example of a beer style. Go out and drink a Pilsner Urquell if you need a mass example of a "Pilsner" style. ;)

Pilsner Urquell is a great example of a Bohemian Pils, however, Miller Lite is not that, it's just an American Lite Lager, of which it has won at the GABF several times in that category.

Not that I like Miller at all (my cheap beer is Keystone), but just wanted to point that out. :mug:

Back