Mixed fermentation starters (saison, brett, lacto, pedio). Techniques, cell counts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firenze

Reaction score
Hi guys, planning on brewing a mixed fermentation tart saison and wanted to get a starter going on the bugs so I don't have to wait 18 months to get the character I am looking for.

I know the french saison and brett can be in the same starter but I am a little bit in the dark about the lacto and pedio. I know lacto prefers an anerobic starter at higher temps (100F) but not sure about pedio and info online is a bit lacking.

I am also unsure about cell counts. Normally I use mr. maltys yeast calculator to calculate starter size but no idea how the bugs come into play.

Another question I have is how long do I let the starter ferment before pitching?

I would create separate starters of each and then mix when you pitch. Take a note of the ratio's and then you can recreate this mix. After you have some mix you're happy with you can just continue to use the yeast cake with maybe having to pitchin a fresh saison pitch in the future. I don't think there's any set mix, just need to play around and see what comes out. I also suggest seperate because you can always make a new mix but can't take anything out once it's in there.

Latest posts

Back