Mistake on last hopping step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSpangen

Reaction score
Hey all -- newbie brewer here (batch number 2). Brewing a Dale's Pale Ale clone which called for the last oz of hops (Centennial) to be split -- half added at the end of the boil, and half saved for dry hopping. I mistakenly added the full oz at the end of the boil. Question is -- do I forgo the dry hopping stage to avoid excess hops, or should I go ahead and grab another Centennial pack and dry hop 1/2 as directed at secondary? Insight appreciated!

Really you could do either one. Hopping at the end of boil would slightly increase the IBUs compared to dry hopping but probably not by much. If you like more hoppy beers, then go ahead and add a 1/2oz. If not..then let it ride. Either way...BEER!

I agree with NGD. Either way will work, and the beer will be fine.

If it were me, I'd just let it go as is for this batch. If you like how it comes out, next time add the dry hop and see if you like it better.

Really you could do either one. Hopping at the end of boil would slightly increase the IBUs compared to dry hopping but probably not by much. If you like more hoppy beers, then go ahead and add a 1/2oz. If not..then let it ride. Either way...BEER!
I appreciate the input. Thanks!

I agree with NGD. Either way will work, and the beer will be fine.

If it were me, I'd just let it go as is for this batch. If you like how it comes out, next time add the dry hop and see if you like it better.
Good plan..believe that's what I'll do

I'm with @LittleRiver totally on this one.
Traditionally the hop additions when wort is hot will add flavor but aroma compounds are very volatile, so dry hopping adds flavor and aroma. I think of it like fractional distillation. Hops have bittering, flavor and aroma compounds/oils. The bittering ones require boiling to convert to actual bitterness, while the flavor ones take some time to boil off, and the aroma ones boil off the easiest.

Back