Mississippi Roll Call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stumbled accross this thread while searching for hops to grow in the state. Cascade and ????

This is me checking in from Madison.

Also there is a new home brew store in Jackson. Great to be able to buy local rather than online.

Just stumbled accross this thread while searching for hops to grow in the state. Cascade and ????

This is me checking in from Madison.

Also there is a new home brew store in Jackson. Great to be able to buy local rather than online.

Welcome! Brewhaha is a great LHBS. If they don't have it they will order it. Mac and Nick know their stuff too. If you have any questions of what you need or about brewing, they usually know the answer. Nick helped me come up with my first recipe for Punishment. I'm brewing it today and will tweak it for the next time.

Welcome! And let us know what you grow! I'm interested to see what will grow here in the state.

Welcome! Brewhaha is a great LHBS. If they don't have it they will order it. Mac and Nick know their stuff too. If you have any questions of what you need or about brewing, they usually know the answer. Nick helped me come up with my first recipe for Punishment. I'm brewing it today and will tweak it for the next time.

Welcome! And let us know what you grow! I'm interested to see what will grow here in the state.

Wait! what? There is a brew store in Jackson? Where?

Wait! what? There is a brew store in Jackson? Where?

BrewHaHa opened a few days before Christmas. They're located in (iirc) LeFleur's Gallary Shopping Center off of the north bound (east side of I-55) frontage road. It's located between Northside drive and the Krogers/Books a Million shopping center. The store isn't visible from the road it's around toward the rear of the shopping center, NOT hard to find. Mac Rusling is the owner and is a genuinely warm person, he's good people!

Contact Info:
https://www.facebook.com/BrewhahaSupply
4800 I-55 N, Suite 17A
Jackson, Mississippi 39206
Phone (601) 362-0201
Email [email protected]
Website http://www.brewhahasupply.com (website isn't operational yet)

For the record their prices are very competitive. Frankly when it comes to grains & other raw materials they're as good a buy as anyone (I paid $1.50 per lb for european pilsner malt with 2-row costing less than that). Perhaps most importantly they'll be happy to package up anything you want and ship it too you. May I suggest giving them a try as if we want the convenience of a local homebrew store we need to support them.

It's in Lefleur's Gallery. Take the Northside Drive exit on I-55 (exit 100) and go north on the frontage road about a half mile, Lefleur's is on the right....the store is next to Weight Watchers.

Gus, what is 'Punishment'? Sounds like an IPA, or marriage therapy! ;)

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but growing hops in MS can be tough. I've grown them at 3 different locations, multiple varieties, and have parents who owned a wholesale nursery so I basically had professional advice in growing them. I say all that to say that in full sun your chances are VERY slim. My father, who's forgotten more about horticulture than I'll ever know, couldn't get them to grow on the hillside behind his house even though we dug out holes and put in potting/top soil and organic matter. Rather than growing length and climbing the one's that did seem to grow a little would spread out along the ground. At my place here in Attala Co they just didn't want to do well. When I first planted them they did okay the first year, but went downhill from there.

However at my old house in Clinton I had a relatively small back yard which contained 5 huge oaks and quite the canopy. I planted 6 hills, built a nice 14' high trellis in an area that got about 6-8 hours of direct sun per day but the rest was shaded and sparse sunlight through the leaf canopy. My hops FLOURISHED, did amazingly well! Given the fact that the soil was treated similarly at all 3 locations my father & I deduced that in order to grow hops properly in MS it's best if you plant them where they get some solid shade for much of the day.

That's the best advice I have for growing hops and the only other thing I have to add is avoid planting them under pine trees or in acidic soil as they hate acid/love alkaline soil. Also they love water.

Yea, the guys at Brewhaha are great!

I really enjoy their store. I wish they had a wider selection of malts, but I think they're doing it right by not stocking everything under the sun- yet. Besides, what they don't have, they'll get for you.

I haven't bought anything from anywhere else since they've opened. I'll be damned if I shop somewhere else knowing that this is the first & only store in Mississippi. The more we support them, the better their selection will become.

I can't stress it enough, you need to stop in. We need to help them grow so homebrewing grows in MS as well.

I was too until I happened to drive by there after a duck hunt. I didn't stop though....just made a mental note. I'm going to be up that way Monday and Tuesday so I'll stop by if I have time.

Also, there is a new homebrew bill this session.....I hope it passes.

This may be getting off topic but I stopped by brewhaha this afternoon. Didn't have much time to look or talk much but they had a lot more than I expected. Hopefully next time I have more time

They have been great to this rookie brewer. Only thing I've made until now has been hopped liquid malt extract. They helped me scale my first all grain recipe to a two gallon size cause o don't have a bigger pot yet.

Gus, what is 'Punishment'? Sounds like an IPA, or marriage therapy! ;)

Ha ha it could work for either! Punishment was short for the name of my changing Belgian Dark Strong Ale. The original name was Holy Wars... The Punishment Due. Most of my stuff was going to have music related names. I've decided to go a little bit different direction. I changed the name to Obscurite. French for Darkness. This one was brewed with a specific yeast and hop and the next will be changed up a bit!

Also, there is a new homebrew bill this session.....I hope it passes.

Hopefully it does pass. HOWEVER, and this is a constant gripe of mine as I'm virtually an anarchist when it comes to the machinations of government/governance... however the bill as introduced legalizes homebrewing only where it is legal to possess light wine and beer. Meaning rather than simply amending current MS code 67-3-11 to add beer, cider, and mead alongside wine which is currently fully legal to make ANYWHERE in the state regardless of commercial possession/sales laws it's a 'limited step forward'. Yes I'll be happy as a worm in a fermenting peach, but why must humanity inch forward on it's belly toward liberty rather than seize it with both hands. We will continue to quite literally beg government to 'allow' us to be free... in a word it's frustrating, and don't dare call it freedom! [/end_rant] ;)

Ran across this series from Hop Union which walks you rather quickly through the hop growing process. Thought it'd be useful to those wondering about growing hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from New Albany, MS. I'm active duty Navy out here in San Diego. I didn't get into homebrewing until I got out here. Now, I can't get enough of it! Making recipes and labels for everything.

From MS originally, get back about once a year. Glad to finely get some good beer after the changes to the laws last year. Will be interesting to see how things improve with the HB change. Been telling the wife we need to move back and open.a brewery, but she doesn't want to leave CO and her family here anytime soon

From MS originally, get back about once a year. Glad to finely get some good beer after the changes to the laws last year. Will be interesting to see how things improve with the HB change. Been telling the wife we need to move back and open.a brewery, but she doesn't want to leave CO and her family here anytime soon

Haha! I'm trying to talk my wife into moving to MS and opening a nanobrewery as well. I already have a brand planned out. Beer names, labels and recipes all suitcased and ready to go!

I'm in South-central MS but I don't know if I count as a brewer yet, since I've yet to brew my first batch of beer, although I've done 4 batches of cider. Nice to meet you guys!

I live in Fondren (Jackson, MS). I have been brewing for a few years now and do all grain. Currently getting my feet wet in HERMS. :mug:

Delta Brewing Supply in Greenville is open too.

VJ's Autoparts in Biloxi has been selling homebrew stuff for years. Good prices on the little stuff they have, but really nothing for all-grain. If you need carboys are extract stuff it's not a bad place to go. Besides, were else can you get everything to change your oil and some homebrew stuff in the same place? LOL

First year hops still going strong. The cascade on the right is just over 10'. But only had 2 bines. The nugget on the left has several bines but is much shorter, and the Columbus in the middle isn't doing much of anything.

I read somewhere that in the south it's better to have a lot of shade for the hops to help with the heat. What are some of you with mature hops in MS opinion? Next year I'll either transplant these or modify my ghetto trellis to keep them from growing together when they are able to grow taller.

20130703_195613.jpg

New guy here. Lawrence County MS, couple miles outside New Hebron. First batch (BB Double IPA extract kit) in secondary and headed into bottles this weekend. Cheers!

Orange Grove here (Gulfport) Use to brew all the time but got tired of hearing how I am going to be arrested and fined and not to tell anyone what I am making in the garage from the wife so gave all of my equipment away.

Still come here on HBT to see what's going on.

Was boiling five gallons once and the neighbor women next door wanted to know what I was making, told her Sun Tea.

Orange Grove here (Gulfport) Use to brew all the time but got tired of hearing how I am going to be arrested and fined and not to tell anyone what I am making in the garage from the wife so gave all of my equipment away.

Still come here on HBT to see what's going on.

Was boiling five gallons once and the neighbor women next door wanted to know what I was making, told her Sun Tea.

I hope with the new laws that you'll consider coming back to the hobby. :mug:

Just found this thread I'm another Hattiesburg area Brewer! If anyone wants to swap beers or chit chat PM me!

Does anybody know the water profile in the Hattiesburg/Dixie area? I was thinking about sending in a lab analysis but if anyone knows of the top of there head that would be great!

North MS here, specifically the Tupelo area. Grew up around wine making and really got interested in the beer movement after the law changed and we got a lot more access to quality beer in stores. We are still playing catch up to the more metropolitan areas but with Mark opening up his LHBS in Tupelo this week ( Trost und Prost ), the future looks bright!

North MS here, specifically the Tupelo area. Grew up around wine making and really got interested in the beer movement after the law changed and we got a lot more access to quality beer in stores. We are still playing catch up to the more metropolitan areas but with Mark opening up his LHBS in Tupelo this week ( Trost und Prost ), the future looks bright!

Welcome to HBT! I'm from near Tupelo. New Albany. I've on active duty for about seven years so I've been away for a while. I think it's really great that the great state of Mississippi is modernizing! New Albany just started selling alcohol within the last couple of years, and now a hombrew store in Tupelo! Sweet!

From near Mendenhall. In one of those dry counties where possession of any kind of alcohol, home brewed or otherwise, is technically illegal. Simpson County. Also chiming in on the kudos to Brewhaha in Jackson.

Hattiesburg area brewer here. Have a couple of friends not members of this board that brew as well. Hit me up if you're interested in having a brew day.

When I was a Walthall County resident (20 years ago) I often thought about home brewing, but the resources were just so much harder to get back then.

Walthall County was dry at that time. Anyone know if that's still the case?

Been living and brewing in the midwest since moving away in the early 90's

When I was a Walthall County resident (20 years ago) I often thought about home brewing, but the resources were just so much harder to get back then.

Walthall County was dry at that time. Anyone know if that's still the case?

Been living and brewing in the midwest since moving away in the early 90's

Looks like Walthall is still a dry county.

@MSBrewer76.....Howdy! I'm only about 10 miles away from you. Ain't dry counties fun?

Hey there in Covington County! Frankly I never paid much attention as to whether it was legal or not when I started brewing several years ago. I went to Jackson today and stopped by Brewhaha for two batches of beer. Brewing tomorrow and sometime in another week before I have to back to work. I work 21 on/21 off on a drilling rig - works out pretty well with brewing.

I just happened across this forum! I'm located in Tupelo, and finally got into brewing early this spring after procrastinating for a few years. Been buying all my equipment and recipe necessities online - so I'm glad to see Mark's shop opening up just a couple miles from me.

Back