Missed SG by 0.010 , help ?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
First time using MLT, and hydro ( I had one and broke it a while back while still in the extract mode ) .

Anyway - Brewsmith put my est SG at 1.050, and I got 1,040.

What are commoncauses of this?

8lbs 2 row
1 lbs cry 40 L
1 lbs caramunich
1 lb munich light

mashed 1 hr at 158
( Went in with 3.5 galls, got 2.25 back in kettle )

Sparged ( 168 degress with 5 min rest ) with 4.5 gals , just did get 3.75 back for my 6 gal boil vol.

First time using MLT, and hydro ( I had one and broke it a while back while still in the extract mode ) .

Anyway - Brewsmith put my est SG at 1.050, and I got 1,040.

What are commoncauses of this?

8lbs 2 row
1 lbs cry 40 L
1 lbs caramunich
1 lb munich light

mashed 1 hr at 158
( Went in with 3.5 galls, got 2.25 back in kettle )

Sparged ( 168 degress with 5 min rest ) with 4.5 gals , just did get 3.75 back for my 6 gal boil vol.

You got 1.040 with 3.75 gallons?

How long did you boil to go from 6 to 3.75 gallons? And to only get 1.040 from everything? Something's not adding up here.

Did you sparge all at once, or divide up that volume? I don't suppose you took a preboil gravity reading, did you?

If you needed 6 gallons and you already had 2.25, you should have sparged with 3.75, not 4.5 Adding the extra 0.75g sparge water is just going to dilute the runnings. That would account for about 6 of the 10 points.

-a.

How long did you boil to go from 6 to 3.75 gallons? And to only get 1.040 from everything? Something's not adding up here.

Let me see if I can clarify - kinda new to the term and such.

Mashed 2.25 gal yield
Sparge 3.75 gal yield

total PRE BOIL 6 gallons

Took reading of 1.040 for SG

Will boil to 5 gallons and then post OG

If you needed 6 gallons and you already had 2.25, you should have sparged with 3.75, not 4.5 Adding the extra 0.75g sparge water is just going to dilute the runnings. That would account for about 6 of the 10 points.

-a.

Here is where I am learning - If I sparged with 4.5, and only got 3.75 back, would nt I have missed the 6 gal mark if I only used 3.75 to begn with? Or am i missing something in technique / practice?

Let me see if I can clarify - kinda new to the term and such.

Mashed 2.25 gal yield
Sparge 3.75 gal yield

total PRE BOIL 6 gallons

Took reading of 1.040 for SG

Will boil to 5 gallons and then post OG

Ok, that's fine. I understand now!

What was the temp of the wort when you took the SG? Did you chill the sample under 100 degrees first?

Ok, that's fine. I understand now!

What was the temp of the wort when you took the SG? Did you chill the sample under 100 degrees first?

Ahhhhh...

No.

I did not take temp at this point, but would estimate it to be in the 160-ish range.

Ahhhhh...

No.

I did not take temp at this point, but would estimate it to be in the 160-ish range.

Ok. Well, hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate above 100 degrees, even with a temperature correction chart.

If you want, you can take a sample now, chill it (a pitcher-type ice bath works great or stick it in your freezer) and guestimate your volume. How far in the boil are you?

As to your questions on the sparge, I'm not sure what you're asking. But I'll give an example on sparge volumes. Say you have 3 gallons out of the MLT and your boil volume is 6.5 gallons. You can just sparge with 3.5 gallons, because the grain will not absorb any more liquid. The grain absorbs about .125 gallons per pound in the mash, but once it's saturated, you won't have any more absorption from the sparge.

Ok. Well, hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate above 100 degrees, even with a temperature correction chart.

If you want, you can take a sample now, chill it (a pitcher-type ice bath works great or stick it in your freezer) and guestimate your volume. How far in the boil are you?

As to your questions on the sparge, I'm not sure what you're asking. But I'll give an example on sparge volumes. Say you have 3 gallons out of the MLT and your boil volume is 6.5 gallons. You can just sparge with 3.5 gallons, because the grain will not absorb any more liquid. The grain absorbs about .125 gallons per pound in the mash, but once it's saturated, you won't have any more absorption from the sparge.

Ah. I love this place - folks are so nice and helpful - I learn something every time I log on.

At this point, about 1/3 he way in, so I'mma chalk it up to lessons larned, relax, and grab a homebrew. Will post my (properly chilled ) OG in an hour or so.

Thanks ! :mug:

Where I am at in the process .. right....now.... ( 20 mins into boil )

(Cannot seem to edit my goof here - Sorry it's sideways.)

IMG_0688.jpg

Latest posts

Back