Missed OG how do i make it up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will319

Reaction score
My recipe was:

8 oz wheat malt
9 lbs british 2 row pale malt
8 oz american crystal 60L

1.25 oz tettanger 90 min
.25 willamette 15 min
.25 cascade 15 min

Mashed at 160 for 90 min and boiled for 90. I dont think I sparged enough. I topped up to 5 gal, and I think diluted the wort. My target was supposed to be 1.052-1.053 but hit 1.032. This is my second all grain batch that came out below target. Can I add 2 lbs of muntons light DME to make this up in the carboy 2 days later?

i think you can, but it definitely affect flavor a little as hops will not be utilized into DME

If you checked the OG after topping off, chances are it wasn't well mixed. Unless your mash temp was way off, I have a hard time believing that you only got about 45% efficiency, so you're probably closer to target than you think. However, there's no harm in adding the 2lbs of DME (as long as you boil it), it'll just throw off your BU:GU a bit.

Even if you didn't top off, you need to mix the wort really well before taking an hydrometer sample. The early runnings will have a much higher gravity than the later runnings, and unless you mix well, your apparent gravity will be much lower than the real gravity if you take the sample from the top of the wort.

-a.

The recipe said mash at 151 and I overshot it, should I have kept it lower? I figured it would be easier to losen the lid off the cooler than to add more hot water. I did a Hefeweizen before at 160 and it came out ok so Ijust rolled with it. Any advice is appreciated this is all new to me.

Back