Missed adding Carapils to Imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of grain to make 2 different beers and my carapils got missed when I was putting my grain together for an imperial stout. Think this will make much of a difference? below is my recipe:

17lb pale malt
.75lb roasted barley
.75lb special b
.25lb chocolate malt

taking a second look at your recipe though, have you made this before?

I didn't crunch your color numbers but this feels like it's going to come out brown, not black.

taking a second look at your recipe though, have you made this before?

I didn't crunch your color numbers but this feels like it's going to come out brown, not black.

View attachment IMG_1509216702.885777.jpg

Haven’t made this before. I put the numbers in brewers friend and got 38srm. Wanted to keep it in bjcp style guidelines in case i want to enter it into comp. just took a hydrometer reading and looks pretty good.

Since this is a big beer, and considering it should have a higher FG, it should have tons of body. Carapils in an imperial stout just really isn't needed.

Looks good!

A quick look at the recipe gave me the same thought - that it was not going to be very dark. Then I saw the picture. Looks good!

I thought the same about the color as well. Off the top of my head I had 1.5lb of roasted barley, 1lb of special b, and .5lb of chocolate. After putting it through brewers friend I saw that I could dial back the darker grains.

I didn’t see why you were concerned about missing the carapils, were you looking to add some sweetness or add mouthfeel? If so you could add some maltodextrin or lactose but I think the lactose would make it a milk stout, if you were going to enter it in a comp.

Lack of mouthfeel or body is unlikely to be an issue in a beer that probably has an OG in the neighborhood of 1.090, and an FG hopefully at or below 1.020.

If anything the opposite is the problem - TOO much residual sweetness. That's why leaving the CPils out was a good thing. There's just so much malt here the last thing you want is unfermentables. The fermentables alone that won't ferment can even be too much.

Schematix I totally agree, which is why I asked the question, although rereading my answer I think I knew what I was asking but half of my thoughts were still in my head which is what you said in the second paragraph.

This is my first time brewing a big stout like this and was using a base recipe. Wasn’t sure how much missing the cpils would affect the end result.

Back